OpenGL is for HL only? and what about...

Started by
9 comments, last by sBibi 19 years, 6 months ago
Assembler! I don't like hight-level languages at all... but I like assembler! ;) and I want to write graphic in assembler (and even games!) using OpenGL technology but I can't find anywhere tutorials/lib-files/inc-files etc... :( all are using C++ and such to write graphics for windows?? I can't believe it.. but I can't find any stuff for assembler, too.. :( can anyone help? thanks for your time...
Advertisement
http://nehe.gamedev.net/
My friend gave me a strictly ASM openGL program to check out, it was cool, super fast (i should write my own prog for comparison sometime). But why would you ever want to write something as large as a game ina low level language? A game is quite an undertaking even in a "high level" language like c++ (its in quotes because c++ can be quite low level, even more so if you count inline assembly), if you want to program in assembly for optimization reasons, remember, they say premature optimization is the source of all evil ;-)

hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
While not OpenGL, this game has been written entirely in Assembly

Hostile Encounter
Hi!

OpenGL is a more or less low-level API written in C. But I guess you know that. ;) So what do you want to do? Find an OpenGL implementation in Assembler? Or is it enough to call the API functions from your assembly code and link against the static libraries? For the former, I can't help you, and for the latter, what's the problem about it? ;)

Cheers,
Drag0n
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson
It should be easy enough to call GL functions from ASM. Converting all the necessary enums so you can use them within your assembler may be a bit of a pain but that's just a matter of trawling through header files and copying the relevant info. You could even write a program to automate it if you want.
My suggestion is to take residence in the Game Programming forum on Iczelion's Win32ASM board. They can help you there better since that's what they do :D.

Iczelion's Win32ASM Message Board
almost all of the tutorials at nehe have been ported to ASM and MASM(maybe nasm also).
Quote:Original post by DerAnged
almost all of the tutorials at nehe have been ported to ASM and MASM(maybe nasm also).

and do you have a link?
Quote:Original post by DerAnged

and do you have a link?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement