• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DaRk_oDiN

VB Game & Game Engine (I'm a n00b)

This topic is 5458 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been working for the past month and a half with a programmer in which we are creating a RPG in Visual Basic(by we I mean mostly him (completly him on the programming aspect)). I have wanted to create a game for a very long time and when offered to do this project I accepted with bells on my feet. He gave me a copy of VB for dummies to learn. I have completed the book and now all I do is graphics and load the palettes for the tiles. I want to learn how to make a game from the ground up (including an engine) on my own. The programmer say to just look at his code and i'll get it. He has left little to no comments and I really want to learn. If you can help me or give me any resources that would be GREATLY appriceated.

Advertisement
If the programmer left no comments then it will be a waste of time to decipher the code. Who knows what he was thinking. Usually people use really obscure variable names that have no intelligent meaning. Unless their is a book available "How to program Quake 3 in 24 hours for dummies", you will have to be more specific on what you would like to learn.

I would like to learn how to use directX graphics in VB, how to go about actually creating an engine for an rpg or strategy-based game, and anything else I might need to create a game using Visual Basic.

Thanks for your help.

There are masses of resources dedicated to VB game programming just [google] for Visual+Basic+games or use this page lotz of links for VB game development. But if you have the time i would invest some in learning to program in a more appropriate game developement langauge (c, c++) VB can be a tad slow at times ( although VB.net should be the same speed as c# ) just stay away from VB 6 and earlier if possible especially if your interested in 3D programming.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!