• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CodeNow

WM_KEYDOWN vs SendNotification

This topic is 5398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Sorry in advance if the answer is obvious to you. I am trying to capture keyboard and mouse input in my program. I just wanted to get an explanation of the differences between using the event message loop as opposed to sending an event notification to a directx device. It seems they do the same thing, conceptually. They pop off a message/event from the message queue and you dispatch it accordingly. Why not just skip directx altogether and just get the WM_KEYDOWN message and get the key code? Thanks.

Advertisement
Windows messaging is fine for simple apps I recommend using Direct Input for complete control of input devices you get all key stats in one command as opposed to waiting for messages. If you don't need the advanced features then there is no reason not to use windows messaging.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!