skybox-crator edge is beyond distance see-able

Started by
4 comments, last by ade-the-heat 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi, In the game the player is in a crator. I have a skybox. Problem is this: when in the crator the edge of it is beyond the distance see-able. Sounds harmless but then it makes the edge of the skybox before the end of the crator. I'd attach the jpg's but can't work out how to do that to these msgs..
Advertisement
Your post is somewhat confusing, but from what I can understand, you're saying that the skybox "hides" parts of the crator due to z-buffering, right?

You must be using the wrong method to render the skybox. The most common method to render a skybox is to center it at the camera pos, and render it with depth testing and depth-writing disabled. This must be done before any actual geometry is rendered.

maybe your frustum far plane is closer than the edge of your crater?
I think he's saying that part of his crater disappears it gets beyond the depth clipping range, thus revealing the skybox behind. Perhaps you could colour your skybox the same colour as the crater near the bottom, so it doesn't look as weird? Or just increase the depth clipping range.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
what I'm saying is the distant edge of the crator is beyond the far plane, hence the sky seems to go right down into the crator.

if you're feeling brave you can download the unfinished game here:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/3drocknroll/

cheers
thanks guys, yes you're right, the crator edge is beyond the far plane.

Ok, so if I increase the far plane then the fps drops a lot.
I'll have to go with this coloring the edge of the skybox the same color as the terrain - it's not going to look so good though...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement