multi-thread rendering different scene graphs

Started by
0 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 6 months ago
hi, guys. I met a problem which annoyed me for a long while. Problem description: Multi-thread rendering different scene graphs in open inventor. 1, (master thread) for on-sceen rendering one scene graph 2, (worker thread) for computation and modification of the scene graph I mentioned in the master thread. At the same time, I am required to do off-sceen rendering with openGL another 2 scene graphs for reading back the depth buffers. However, segmentation default. Questions: 1, should I use threads for each rendering, in my case, 3 threads. 2, how to handle with the GLXContext? 3, I want to implement it both in windows and Linux. what should I note. because i have implemented in windows, althought there is no segmentation fault, but just for seconds. the cpu usage is coming to 100%. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement
Give us some more info.

What kind of thread synchronization do you use to make sure your threads don't corrupt the scene graph when updating the objects contained in it ?

How do you ensure that, for example, the node just being rendered in thread 1 does not get deleted in thread 2 at the same time ?

Regarding portability of multithreaded applications, I would take a look into pthreads, a well known implementation of posix threads which works the same under windows and linux.

-Markus-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement