bounce effect?

Started by
3 comments, last by JizzRoy 23 years, 6 months ago
I was wondering, I can make things wave and move with cos, sin wavs.. but I can''t figure out how I would do a bounce effect? any links.. suggestiongs?
Advertisement
If you want bouncing balls or something like that you just have to reflect the balls velocity vector against the surface that it hits. If your looking for general stuff, goto some physics sites and I''m sure you will find all sorts of stuff.

Nate Miller
http://nate.scuzzy.net
Bounces are determined by the velocity of the object and the surface it hits against. Find the tangent of the point on this surface that the object hits (if it''s not flat) and then make it just go in a mirrored velocity off of that object. All objects will also travel in a parabolic arc (if there''s no wind/other unbalanced forces)... Simple enough to find the vectors of the direction using some simple physics and geometery.

S.
If you want to give your surfaces some various rebonding effects, you just have to give them a simple dumping value ranged from 0 to 1 unless you want to make your object to go higher (dumping >1). Then when you have calculated the new velocity vector you multiply each coordonate by the dumping value of your surface.

If you want more complex effects, you can give a different dumping value to each coordonate (I think).

My Web Page
a bounce is vel is ball normal is the walls etc normal
vel = (vel - (normal * (vel.dotproduct(normal))) * 2
this is a perfect bounce usually an object will lose a bit of its enery thpough

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement