• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Solidus

Double Check on these books

This topic is 5402 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just wondering if im making the right choice about these books im about to buy. I haven't done any programming before and I don't know any languges. Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX w/CD Game Programming for Teens Awesome Game Creation: No Programming Required What you reckon? My idea is to learn how to create a online game.

Advertisement
i dunno but the no programming required one sound like a book about how to use gamemaker type of programs (tiled games limited to 2D mostly) & game programming for teens doesn't strike me as a good title either if something is for adults it's for teens to so the for teen part sound like it could be replaced with either "dumbed down" or "stupid trying to be fun talk" but that's just from the titles so i could be totaly wrong... else u'll prolly get the same opinion as everyone else on this board:

1) pick a non game programming book to learn a language (like a C++ book i personally like the one i have now c++ primer plus 4th edition by stephen prata sams publishing)
2) then either pick a opengl / directx book or read tutorials & docs about them

(personally i tryed to go for dx before finishing learning c++ & it was an overall pain compared to if i had sticked to learning c++ longer so imoh you should pick whatever c++ book you want & finish it before buying anything else )

I've had a look at a local bookshop and relised they only have these programing books:

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/frontpagelinesonly.asp?searchbycriteria=Game&searchby=description&searchbycat=COM051000&submit1=Search&storeurl=angusrobertson&db=au

... Im not into ordering stuff over the internet

Knowing what I know I would...

Look at:
Windows Game Programming for Dummies

An get two books on C/C++ or whatever language you plan to be using.

I am assuming you already have a compiler.

Otherwise known as none of the above.

If you had your heart set on one or two of the three you listed:

I would go with either or both of:
Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX w/CD
Game Programming for Teens

Luck, and start small!

Game Programming for Teens is related to BlitzBasic 2D and, in my opinion, is quite poor.
Bear in mind if you don't know any languages then programming an online game may not come quickly.
In fact, you won't really learn how to make an online game. Instead you should learn how to program and then use it to make an online game.
Learning to program in C++ is a major topic. You should compare this against other game programming languages (B3D, DBPro etc)
which do a lot of work for you but lose some flexibility and power. They still require a good deal of commitment to learn.
There really is no real shortcut to programming.
Good Luck.

Quote:
Original post by Solidus
I've had a look at a local bookshop and relised they only have these programing books:

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/frontpagelinesonly.asp?searchbycriteria=Game&searchby=description&searchbycat=COM051000&submit1=Search&storeurl=angusrobertson&db=au

... Im not into ordering stuff over the internet

Amazon is perfectly safe, as are the sites of the publishers. It's not a big deal to order things over the internet. I do it all the time :).

First post for me on these forums...

I recommend Beginning C++ Game Programming. It assumes no programming experience, and teaches programming from a game perspective. Its relates all of those boring tedious beginner programs into simple game functions. (like High Score lists, and Play Again loops) Also includes the much needer compiler.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!