What is faster? [x][y] or [y*w+x]?

Started by
33 comments, last by DigitalDelusion 19 years, 6 months ago
Hello members, What technique would you use to create arrays with more than one dimension? First method:

// first method: creation
int** my2darray = new int*[xsize];
for( unsigned int x=0; x<xsize; x++ )
	my2darray = new int[ysize];

// first method: access
int val = my2darray[x][y];

// second method: creation
int* my2darray = new int[xsize*ysize];

// second method: access
int val = my2darray[y*xsize+x];

Which one is faster?
_____________________________________http://www.winmaze.de, a 3D shoot em up in OpenGL, nice graphics, multiplayer, chat rooms, a nice community, worth visiting! ;)http://www.spheretris.tk, an upcoming Tetrisphere clone for windows, a 3D tetris game on a sphere with powerful graphics for Geforce FX and similar graphics cards.
Advertisement
Have you profiled both? This will answer your question.
Have you also looked at the assembly output of your compiler in both cases? I would take a a look if I was you.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Quote:Original post by darookie

He wouldn't be asking if he had done so.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Quote:Original post by antareus
Quote:Original post by darookie

He wouldn't be asking if he had done so.
It's the polite way of telling him what he already should have done.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Both versions are dangerous because they dont use RAII.
std::vector< std::vector<int> > my2darray(xsize, std::vector<int>(ysize));

does
In version 1, you dereference my2darray, then you dereference my2darray[x].

In version two, you dereference just once, my2darray[y*xsize+x].

So the access using method two should be twice as fast.
Neither. It depends on your architecture, and micro-optimizing at this level is really a waste of time unless you know that your code *has* to run in 25 microseconds on an i386EX (just for example).

Generally:
bob[x][y] ~= bob[x+y*stride]
(depends on the relative speeds of int multiplication and memory access, ie. mult is faster on high end CPUs and extra memory access probably faster on slower (pentium and below) chips)

Faster yet is:
bob[x+(y<<shift)]
if you're really choking for speed, but as I said before, it's not really worth it. Your code probably has opportunities for much greater gains at the algorithmic level.
For static arrays both access methos are as good.
For dynamic arrays the second is better. It takes less memory(x*pointers + x*y*size of type vs 1*pointer + x*y*size of type), the memoty is allocated in continuous block and it's easier to allocate and deallocate. The access time is also faster because the row size is constant. I personally always use the second if the array is width*height. The first is good for varying row size.
EasyGL - easy to use graphics library.
I'd prefer the single dimension version and using pointer arithmetics to access data (linearly in one way or the other would be with addition instead of multiplication), if you truly have to use arrays like that. (don't know your platform nor your data access patterns, so hard to give proper advice)

That being said, optimize your real bottlenecks instead of this to begin with. Premature optimization is the root to much evil :p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement