• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
shadow12345

Very generalized question about resting objects

This topic is 5395 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm sure there's no one way of doing this, but I don't exactly know how, in a fully dynamic simulation, resting objects *should* be handled. What I mean is, you drop a box onto the floor, and a bunch of impulses are generated when it hits stuff (based on the hardness of the colliding geometry with the box) which induce forces and torques...getting the math for just THAT is hard enough. But, after a while, the box begins to settle down such that the magnitude of the impulses converges on zero (unless you have perfectly elastic collisions). My question is this: once you are at this point(where the magnitude of the impulses is at or extremely close to zero), do you just let your physics engine continue to apply gravity to every object, accelerating it, and then detecting collisions and applying impulses as before, or do you induce a new set of instructions once the velocity is zero, but the object may be accelerating towards other objects in the world?

Advertisement
Quite a detailed + relevant discussion here:

http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=00005469&forum=general&id=-1

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!