• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LinkOfTime

Hi, I have a WAP question (once more :) )

This topic is 5454 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all I have tried to use an Access database with a WAP webpage. Now, here is my code: <?xml version="1.0"?> <!DOCTYPE wml PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN" "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml"> <wml> <card title="AccessTry"> <%dim DSN%> <%DSN="DBQ="&server.mappath("DB\Tables.mdb")&";driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};"%> <%set c=server.createobject("adodb.connection")%> <%c.open DSN%> <%set r=server.createobject("adodb.recordset")%> <%r.open "select * from UsersTable",c,3,3%>

<%=r.fields("Attack(0)")%>

<%r.close%> <%set r=nothing%> <%set c=nothing%> </card> </wml> I have found this WAP emulator here: http://tagtag.com/site/index.php3 (at the buttom of the page). Anyway, when I check this WAP page of mine with the emulator, it works fine, as it should. When I check it in the cell phone (Philips 530) however, it doesn't work at all: sometimes, the screen goes all white with a WAP page title "Return to menu", in other times it shows an error message "Page cannot be displayed" and most times, it just doesn't load at all. I hope someone can help me fix my code so that it would work on the cell phone as well... Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Advertisement
Hi again
Yesterday I have bought a new phone (Alpha p8). That phone does display the code I posted in this message as it is.
So, I figured that it was the Philip's browser which is too strict to display the code... Now, I want it to display it anyway, so, if anyone knows how to make it display it, then please write it here...
Thanks again in advance :)

I doubt that the problem lies with the wml you're sending. It is as basic as it can get so there is little room for mistakes.
I wager that the problem is with the network settings on the Phillips phone or with the server. Maybe you have some firewall settings that are clashing with the operators WAP gateway and blocking that page, maybe you're phone is limited to browsing inside the operator's walled gardeen (only there own sites), etc.

shmoove

Well, I kind of doubt that the phone only supports it's company's websites, because I have already entered one website which wasn't the company's. The other problems however, might be true... Can I do anything about them, or is that just the way the phone's software is built and there is nothing to do about that?
Anyway, one more question while I am at responding here... Is there any way to transfer Java applications to your mobile phone using the internet and the phone's internet, I mean, like creating your own Java downloads website or something. I don't have infra-red connection to my computer nor do I have the USB cable that connects the phone to my computer, but I still want to transfer some applications that I am working on to the phone...
Thanks for the help :)

Setting up a download server: Introduction to OTA Application Provisioning.

As far as the connectivity problems. Call up the network operator's helpdesk, and ask them if they can help you. It might be that you need to do some configuring on the phone, or maybe change some settings on your server.

shmoove

[edit]
Since you're using ASP, I Imagine your server is IIS, so here are the instructions to set up MIME types.
[/edit]

Thanks for the help Shmoove, the games I tried worked on the cell phone (sent from my own site), now I know that my programmed games will be able to be sent that way as well. :)
One more question though. I saw some Java .sis files over the internet and I just wanted to know if they are the same as the .jad files, and how to send them to the cell phone?
Thanks again for all the help :)

.sis files are Symbian installation files. They are not for Java apps, but for apps written in Symbian C/C++. If we want to make comparisons, they would be like a jad and a jar rolled together, but I think a better analogy would be the installers for Windows apps. You just download them onto your Symbian phone, and they should prompt you if you want to install the application.

shmoove

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!