• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin Magus

Dusty Engine Release 4

This topic is 5454 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've just recently released on my website the 4th release of my task engine Dusty Engine for the 3d Engine Irrlicht. I believe the project has matured greatly since the first release, and it is very stable. The engine is inspired by ideas I had while reading Richard Fine's Enginuity articles on gamedev.net. Check out the new release here. The current tutorial on the site is no longer up-to-date, I am working on 2 new tutorials currently that do more impressive things with the engine. Here is a copy of the changelog for release 4: ==================== Changes in Release 4 ==================== Modifications: -------------- * Dev-c++ 4.9.9.0 support added to the engine. A library and dll are supplied which have been compiled with Dev-c++. * The last parameter passed to a task has been changed from an integer containing the time elapsed since the last time the task was executed to a TimeServerEntry. The task can then use that object to query it's delta and also change it's delta (a functionality not easily possible before.) * New releases no longer have version Dusty Engine x.x.x syntax, the releases have been renamed to "Dusty Engine Release x" where x is the release number. * Added a new optional value to send to TaskTree::AddTask(): lifeTime. It defaults to 0. If lifeTime is not 0, then a task will automatically be erased from the task tree after it executes a number of times equal to lifeTime. If lifeTime is 10, the task will execute 10 times and then be erased from the tree automatically. * New class created, DustyEngine::TimeServerEntry which replaces the irr::u32 id that is returned by TimeServer::RegisterTimer(). Checking the time delta and resetting the delta should now be done through that object. * Added 3 basic tasks to the engine: MoveTask, RotateTask, and ScaleTask. These tasks each take a node and a vector, and move, rotate, or scale that node by the vector each update. * A new, templated class has been added to the engine for the purpose of managing task objects better: The TaskManager class. It maintains a persistent list of tasks in memory that can be easily accessed and released. This cuts down on allocation and deallocation of memory for programs that must create and delete many tasks. It also allows an easy way to group many tasks of the same type together. * Added a new virtual function Reset() to DustyEngine::Task class. This function should be used to "reset" a task to a default configuration (basically reset any extra member variables.) This function is called by The new TaskManager class when an object is released back to the task manager. * Removed functions from the time server class which use integer ids. The only functions in the timer server now are for registering and unregistering timers and seeing how many timers are registered.

Advertisement
That's true, I'll look at finding a place to squeeze them in. But even so, the engine is not a 3d engine. It relies on Irrlicht to do all the graphics.

The demo projects are not really there to show off 3d effects, they are there to show off DE controlling a bunch of objects.

I have yet to put the screenshots up, but today I have added a second tutorial for the engine. There are 2 tutorials up now, the first explains in depth how the engine works, and the second gives code and explanations for how the second demo program works.

Is there anyone out there who could give me a FPS from the second demo? It says it on top of the window.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!