• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ElCrazon

Sciency Games (aka Edutainment)

This topic is 5425 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, for a local science fair I a tentatively planing on making a game, or several, based on something related to science to teach kids about some concept. Sadly, I am horrible at coming up with my own ideas on exactly what to do, but can take an idea and make it work for me when given a base. So, would anyone here be kind enough to give a couple basic ideas on what I could make a fairly fun, and educational, game out of? I just need some direction.

Advertisement
For grade 12 physics I made an isometric 3d sprite-based turn-based space physics simulator. You had a ship with a thruster and a cannon, and there were various planetoids that had gravitational pulls and whatnot. You'd fly around by entering force vectors, and got to watch the fun sudden impulse of cannon fire. Full numerical data was always available. Kindof a space-scorched-earth game. I'd intended it to be multiplayer synchronious, but it was crufty VB so it died bloat-death before completion.

What he said. Make a "momentum simulator", have objects you can vary the mass and size of and then club them against each other for everyone's amusement.

Rope movement. Attach a rope to the users cursor and when they move it around have the mouse behave respectivly.

Quote:
Original post by Darobat
Rope movement. Attach a rope to the users cursor and when they move it around have the mouse behave respectivly.

That would be cool. Build the rope out of IK springs, you could even throw things around with it.

You could simulate magnetic forces on objects. Have some magnets interact (possibly in water or other liquid). Or have a magnet magnetize something else (like a chain of paper clips). You could of course vary the strength of the magnet also.

One more: make a simple "create an electrical circuit" game, where students have a set amount of components (transistors, wire, batteries, light bulbs, etc.) and they try and connect them together to make a circuit (to turn on the light bulb or fan or whatever). That would be neat.

You could do standard collisions simulations, a la billiard balls. It would be some kinda challenge like playing billiards, where you have to know the ball into the hole or something...

Actually, this idea sucks. Forget I said it. Decent simulation, terrible game.

I'd take everything the above posters mentioned and add to it. The rope idea is great, but if you've got a lot of high-school sciency students, probably alot of them have played a lot of games, and one thing people like to do in games is to wreck stuff! So maybe you could make a trebuchet simulator, which would of course lend itself to a lot of physics simulation, plus hurling a large boulder that would smash stuff (again, physics). Might be kinda cool.

roger_hq

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!