Play my first person shooter demo!

Started by
19 comments, last by foolish_mortal 19 years, 6 months ago
Hm, somehow it crashes for me a few seconds after I open it.. Says "Exception: CAudio::SetSourceBuffer: alSourcei error code: 40964", no idea what could be causing this.

EDIT: Happens whenever a sound effect is supposed to be played, I think.. at least it happens when I click a mouse button or when I move..

[Edited by - Wuntvor on October 13, 2004 6:46:40 AM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by bosone
please, in this kind of games, add the option to reverse the mouse up/down behaviour... :-)
anyway, it's fun, but i find it very difficult (because the lack of a cross to see where to shot and because i was not accustomend to the "reverse" - for me - mouse control!)

Working on it... these seem to be the most common complaints.

Quote:Original post by Wuntvor
Hm, somehow it crashes for me a few seconds after I open it.. Says "Exception: CAudio::SetSourceBuffer: alSourcei error code: 40964", no idea what could be causing this.

EDIT: Happens whenever a sound effect is supposed to be played, I think.. at least it happens when I click a mouse button or when I move..

Definately sounds like an audio problem.

Have you downloaded and installed OpenAL? This is necessary to run the game. If you have not got it, here is the link:

http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46&file=OpenALwEAX.exe

When I uploaded the file, I included a file called OpenAL32.dll in the zip archive. I thought this might make it unecessary to install OpenAL. However, I don't think it's having the desired effect. I know one other person who found it was crashing but it worked when he deleted this file. So I would suggest that you delete the file OpenAL32.dll from your Renegade folder and try to run it again.

Please tell me if this doesn't fix the problem. Thanks! :-)
Have released new version with crosshair and control setup window.
it looks beautiful, but its freakin' dark as crap!!!

put in some lighting and that will make it worth playin' for hours!

good game

Pat
Right now I can say that if this is a small team's lot, then it's a great accomplishment, but if you did it on your own, then that's much more amazing.

I'll try any FPS once, and there's nary a FPS I don't like (you gotta screw up the concept of running and shooting pretty bad to make a sour FPS), so when I saw the thread I was pretty intrigued. I have DX9 and got OpenAL to play the game. The default renderer crashes the game whenever I try to fire and it runs incredibly choppy. However, Direct3D and OpenGL make the game run smooth as a baby's ass at even the highest resolution (FYI: I own a 256MB 8X AGP ATi Radeon 9600 Pro).

Pretty good engine I'd say, at least I can't find any problems with it. If you're going to scrap this game tho, then I won't bother waxing on about a critique to this demo. Good luck with your next project.
---Working on a project proposal
It would be nice if you made it so, every time you make improvements, we would only have to download only the necessary files, and not the whole thing.

Anyway, now with the crosshair and the custom controls I can finally play the game properly, and I like it. My opinion is that you should keep working on it, adding more levels,weapons and monsters, and maybe implementing some other features, like dynamic lighting and particle effects. You have done too much work to just leave it at that.

-EDIT: I just finished the level and I noticed two things:
1)In the room with the big pentalpha window, I got an violation error when I aimed at the monster who's standing on the big slope. It happened only once, I played the game again and all was fine.
2)On the skybox, I see some kind of "grid", like it's visible that it's made out of patches.

[Edited by - mikeman on October 16, 2004 5:22:50 AM]
Quote:Original post by mntlinstituteflr
it looks beautiful, but its freakin' dark as crap!!!

I could never decide if it was too dark or not. When I run it fullscreen, with my monitor brightness on the highest setting (which is how I have it for other games and programs as well) the lighting seems about right. On the other hand when I run it as a window, especially if there are bright white windows behind it, it does seem way too dark. Maybe I need a brightness slider as well.

Quote:Original post by Dan of 76
Right now I can say that if this is a small team's lot, then it's a great accomplishment, but if you did it on your own, then that's much more amazing.

I did it all by myself [grin] Took quite a while though.

Quote:Original post by Dan of 76
The default renderer crashes the game whenever I try to fire and it runs incredibly choppy.

The software renderer is slow and I'm not sure how to make it faster [sad]. But it doesn't crash when I run it, I don't understand why it would do that.

Quote:Original post by mikeman
1)In the room with the big pentalpha window, I got an violation error when I aimed at the monster who's standing on the big slope. It happened only once, I played the game again and all was fine.

Damn, these random inexplicable crashes are a pain.

2)On the skybox, I see some kind of "grid", like it's visible that it's made out of patches.

Oh yeah I noticed that when I ran it on a PC at work. It's not visible on my home machine. Odd. I think those are splits where the BSP algorithm has divided the top sky face into patches. I can maybe fix it by implementing some kind of hint brush.

My opinion is that you should keep working on it, adding more levels,weapons and monsters, and maybe implementing some other features, like dynamic lighting and particle effects. You have done too much work to just leave it at that.

Nah I would have to get rid of the software renderer, and even though it's not that great it's too much part of the demo to abandon it. My next project will be pure DirectX, no switching rendererers, so I won't have to program each effect three times!
"File not found: The requested URL was not found on this server."

-EDIT:Ok,now it works.
khm,nkh
hello
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
"File not found: The requested URL was not found on this server."

-EDIT:Ok,now it works.
khm,nkh
hello

Eh... what?
It takes very long time to unpack the file for some reason. Other files dosn't take that much time to unpack. Are you compressing them very hard?

I even thougt that there had happened some error, because that the bar thats shows how much had been unpaked, not moved at all.

I got it at last unpacked and it looked fine but as some of the others said it would be a good idea to make it possible to look around with the mouse the normal way.
cool monsters...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement