Sign in to follow this  

DX9 + VC++6 Linker Error *SOLVED*

This topic is 4820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have finally decided to try to do some graphics programming after my several years of "back end" coding. And now, here I am, with my first directx 9 program and my book: "Beginning Directx9." I have read the entire thing, it makes sense, and I am feeling good. So I whip together some code. Simply, it creates a window and my direct3d device. Everything compiles fine. Beautiful. However, when I go to build the executable, I get a linker error with "Direct3DCreate9". I am using Visual C++ 6.0, have the Directx9 sdk installed with the summer update. I have #included <d3d9.h> and have included d3d9.lib in my linker. Also, whenever I try to run any examples from the book, it says it cannot init direct3d. I know this isn't the exact place to ask about a specific book, but I figure the two might be coorelated. Anyone have any idea what the deal is? Sidebar: I am currently running directx9.0c. Thanks for reading -visage [Edited by - visage on October 7, 2004 3:50:43 PM]

Whats the exact error? Are you sure you're linking with "d3d9.lib" and not "d3d.lib"? When it says that it can't init D3D, does it give an error code? If not, if you put a breakpoint at the line where it calls Direct3DCreate9(), what is the value of GetLastError() after the call?

Edit: if you have the debug runtime installed, is there any output in the debug window when you run one of the books samples? If they're just executable files, try dragging the exe into an empty workspace.

This topic is 4820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.