Visual C++ or C++?

Started by
8 comments, last by Master Shake 19 years, 6 months ago
As of the last month I have been learning C++ but I am not sure if I should learn C++ or Visual C++ I keep hearing about the two and i am not very sure which would be better for game programming please help
Advertisement
Visual C++ is better because you can see it. Actually, Visual C++ is the name of an ide program by Microsoft that eases the production of C++ language programs. C++ is a language that can be written using any number of compilers.
Keep on with C++. Visual C++ is a C++ compiler.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Learn C++ first.

Visual C++ is nothing more than a C++ compiler like Fruny said, that "translates" all the things you do visually (forms etc) into MFC calls. So learning Visual C++ will most likely end up in you becoming lazy and rely on drawing your applications instead of coding them yourself ;)

if you want to do forms later on, learn C++ and MFC. From there, you could go to visual C++ and have a excellent understanding on how everything works, etc.
-----------------Live for the LordRide for the Lordwww.sturmnacht.de.vu
Most confusion of this sort comes from those stupid "Teach yourself Visual C++ in 12 seconds" books, those usually deal with is MFC, not (particularly) C++.
[size=2]
Quote:Visual C++ is nothing more than a C++ compiler like Fruny said, that "translates" all the things you do visually (forms etc) into MFC calls. So learning Visual C++ will most likely end up in you becoming lazy and rely on drawing your applications instead of coding them yourself ;)

First I've heard of this.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
OK, to set the record straight.

Visual C++ is a product shipped by Microsoft. It includes the following:

• A C++ Standard complying compiler (not 100% but it's one of the best C++ compilers you can get, as long as you get the one with Visual C++ .NET 2003 (aka version 7.1) or the one bundled in the free downloadable toolkit from Microsoft).
  • Various C++ libraries, incl.: ATL, MFC, the Win32SDK, ASP.NET (for web services only), ATL Server, .NET (aka MC++)
  • An integrated development environment (IDE)
  • Documentation (help files)
  • An integrated debugger (as expected from a proper IDE).

So, it really doesn't make sense to ask "Should I learn C++ or Visual C++". Visual C++ is a tool for the utilization of the programming language C++.

My advice to you is this:
    1. Learn C++ as described by the ANSI/ISO Standard. To do this get a good C++ text book which teaches proper (aka Standard) C++. Such a book could be "The C++ Programming Langauge", "Accelerated C++", "You Can Do It! A Beginner's Introduction To Computer Programming", "Absolute C++", "Problem Solving with C++: The Object of Programming", or "C++ Primer".

2. Then learn how to use the STL (the library that comes with Standard C++). For this I recommend: "C++ Standard Library : A tutorial and reference".

3. Decide if you need and want to learn a C++ application framework. For example one could be MFC, another one could be wxWidgets, yet another one Visual Component Framework (VCF). For game programming skip this step and go straight to a graphics framework such as OpenGL or DirectX.
  • "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
    most confusing topic i have ever seen.... how can u get information from this junk? listen. C++ is a PROGRAMMING language, and visual c++ is a program to that lets you PROGRAM in c++. All visual c++ does is compiling what u write in c++. there are more compilers like borland c++ and dev-cpp. Those are just for the compiling of the actual programming language you write in, and thats c++. so dont get confused by the names.
    Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
    most confusing topic i have ever seen.... how can u get information from this junk? listen. C++ is a PROGRAMMING language, and visual c++ is a program to that lets you PROGRAM in c++. All visual c++ does is compiling what u write in c++. there are more compilers like borland c++ and dev-cpp. Those are just for the compiling of the actual programming language you write in, and thats c++. so dont get confused by the names.

Your answer is not much more useful: ok, c++ is a programming language, but VC++, Borland C++ and Dev-cpp are not compilers (or, at least not only): they are IDE's. So, C++ is a language, gcc is a compiler and VC++ is an IDE (read the post of rohde).
    Actually, I've heard many people pretend to know Java, C++, [insert a randomly selected language], Visual C++ (yes, exactly as C++ and Visual C++ were different languages). I think they refer to the additions and the differences between standard C++ and the one implemented by Microsoft (yes, now the things are different).
    Thanks, this really helps i wasn't sure at first but thanks, now i can at least learn C++ without doubts that im learning useless information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement