Sign in to follow this  

Frame rate stuck at a mere 85

This topic is 4818 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been creating an engine over the last few months, with all kinds of nifty features. ( in D3D9 ) My tests have been running fine, and seem to be displaying motion with no jittering, so I wasn't all that concerned with frame rate until now. I finally got to adding a frame rate display, and I noticed my frame rate is stuck at 85 frames per second. (in fact it vascillates back and forth displaying 85.333333 and 84.363636) about once every second. I thought at first that that the FPS math was screwy, so I added a display that shows the current frame index on the screen every frame and reset to 0 when I perform the FPS calculation. Indeed, the counter counts up to 85 and then resets to 0 about once per second. So I know I am actually only displaying 85 frames in a second. I also know that this exact FPS does not vary even slightly, no matter what I do. I set the resolution down to 640X480, and still I get the same FPS. Then, I removed ALL objects and left only the FPS display, and STILL I get the same frame rate. Then, I removed ALL my logging (which shouldn't eat up to much processing time anyway, because I was careful to write a ring buffer with no memory allocation). Still, 85 FPS. Then, I removed the timer code, thinking that maybe the code checking the timer was causing the program to halt for some event that happened on a repeating interval, but still, the FPS is the same. I am at a loss, because I am basically not displaying anything.... does anyone have any ideas?

yep that is it. I figured it out shortly after I posted this message.

However, it says in the docs that disabling that setting can cause visual tearing. How bad is the tearing I can expect? Do commercial games typically leave this enabled? If not, how can I make sure that the display does not show visual artifacts due to screen refresh while this is enabled?

Many games have vsync as a configuration option. Whether or not the tearing is "bad" is a thing of personal preference. Personally, I don't usually even notice it.

The tearing isn't usually noticable, but you can always re-enable it if you do find its interfering. Better yet you could set it as an option somewhere so you can toggle it!

For testing purposes its nice to know the true framerate of a game, especially when trying to profile pieces of your code so when your doing that i suggest you disable it. For the final product though it'd be fine either way, although hardcore gamers will probably want it uncapped! I set it as a toggle somewhere then default it to on in release builds, that way you get no tears but if anyone wants to turn it on its there.

Make the user choose to enable vsync or not. Usually things look much smoother with vsync on, but the drawback is that you have to render frames fast enough to meet the refresh rate. If you don't finish rendering before the next update, you will have to wait until the next. So if your refresh rate is set to 85Hz, and you can only render 80 frames a second, your framerate will drop to ~42Hz. Hope this clears things up.

BTW the tearing WILL be quite visible under certain circumstances. Especially 2D scrolling is horrible without vsync (or strafing across a wall, for that matter). As always, it depends on what you're doing.

I had the same problem. My app caped at 85 FPS and another demo I saw reached 500 FPS.

The fix is:

D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp;
d3dpp.FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = D3DPRESENT_RATE_DEFAULT;
d3dpp.PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE;
pdevice->CreateDevice(...,d3dpp,...);

I know this is a DirectX forum but since this is an active topic.. does anyone know how to enable/disable the vsync in opengl in C++, or can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers! :)

This topic is 4818 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.