Sign in to follow this  

All the ways to make a .x file

This topic is 4817 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

- conversion from another format using a package such as Right Hemisphere's "Deep Exploration" or Okino's "PolyTrans".

- your own loader to load from another format into an ID3DXMesh and then a call to D3DXSaveMeshToX(). The loading part of this is demonstrated in the MeshFromOBJ sample in the DirectX 9 SDK Update (Summer 2004).

- there are plugins for Maya as well as 3DS Max

I had the same problem with .X files. It could not contain all the data I wanted. For example, I wanted the material structure to have information related to bump map textures and the vertices to contain a tangent vector etc. I looked at other formats such as .3DS and .obj but couldn't find anything suitable (.3DS doesn't contain vertex normals!!!)

In the end I just designed my own chunk based file format that contained the data structures I wanted and wrote a converter from .X.

I believe .X is designed so you can add your own "templates" (data) to it. NEver used it though, since figurig out how to load a simple boneanimation is me way to complex.

Quote:
Original post by Link
Ok but how can create my own data to add in .x file?
How can i know what i can write inside?

You could start by searching on the 'net, looking for X files tutorials, which teach you how to write them with Notepad or something.

This topic is 4817 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.