D3DX - What is it?

Started by
3 comments, last by kamrann 23 years, 6 months ago
Hi I''m starting to teach myself D3D IM, and now I keep hearing D3DX mentioned. What is it? Is it a separate API, or something to do with the D3D framework? thanks Cameron
Advertisement
D3DX is a set of helper functions for D3DIM which is there to take away the grunt work like initialization, setting up math functions etc. It''s better for demos and prototyping. I wouldn''t reccomend it in more serious efforts though, it''s been known to throw an exeception here and there.

-David
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "
D3DX is a utillity library based on D3D IM. It includes d3d initialization, marix and vector operations, texture mangement and so on...
It can be very useful because it simplifies d3d and you can use it transparently with d3d im.
It''s like a COM version of the D3D Framework. It helps with initialisation, loading textures etc. See Direct3D without all the Garbage article for more information.

------------------------------
#pragma twice

sharewaregames.20m.com

quote:Original post by Bully

D3DX is a set of helper functions for D3DIM which is there to take away the grunt work like initialization, setting up math functions etc. It''s better for demos and prototyping. I wouldn''t reccomend it in more serious efforts though, it''s been known to throw an exeception here and there.

-David

huh? what do you mean by "throw an exception?"?
i am working with some of the math functions of d3dx and found them quite helpful, what should be wrong with it?
also, do you mean classic c++ exceptions? it would be completely new to me that dx throws a real exception...
you kind of scared me, you know

rid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement