private functions?

Started by
6 comments, last by kaysik 19 years, 6 months ago
I'm hooking my console upto AS so that I can just pass the input into AS and have it do all the hard work. Most of it will just get/set system vars but allowing loops, conditions etc is also a very cool feature. But I just realised that the console will also have access to all the other functions in the game!! The createEntity() function can be called from the console, or even worse the removeEntity() function can!! Is there anyway to limit functions so that they can only be called from certain script modules or something? Security through obsucrity isn't something I want to rely on. From what I understand you add script functions to moduls which can then all see each other (and you can import from other modules if you want), but all host app functions/data types are global! I guess I could disable the console all together for release builds but i'd like to keep it open if possible, just restricted. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Hi

I have not used as very much in applications, mainly im developing the library, not developing with the library

WitchLord can give you more details, or tell if this is right, but you can set up an AS engine with only the functions that you want to give, for the console, and another AS engine with all the functions allowed

hope it helps

Lioric
Lioric is correct.

What you should do is to have a separate engine instance for the console scripts. Each engine instance should be configured with the application interfaces it has access to.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

sweet - sounds easy enough :D Doing that also means I can select which engine to use so for testing i'll have access to the full one, but can clamp it when the general public gets there hands on it :P

Also this is just a really small question that but why when I copy the function:

static void ConstructString(string *thisPointer)
{
new(thisPointer) string();
}

out of stdstr.cpp to my own app does it complain wildly with:

ScriptFunctions.cpp(129) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'thisPointer'
ScriptFunctions.cpp(130) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '}'
... [add 98 more of that error] ...

If I include stdstr.h and stdstr.cpp in my proj it works great, but if I try to copy the functions out into my own scriptFunctions file where i've got the rest of my basic script functions does it complain? For the moment I'll just live with the seperate files but i really can't see why it wouldn't let me move the code into my own .cpp file.

Thanks

[Edited by - kaysik on October 9, 2004 6:00:21 AM]
The reason you're getting those compilation errors is because string is in the "std" namespace.

If you look closely at the top of stdstr.cpp, you notice "using namespace std;" So either put that line in, or put "using std::string;" or simple replace every occurance of "string" with "std::string".

Hope that fixes your problem!
nope thats not it ... i've got useing namespace std at the top of the file and other functions use strings (and one ever uses a vector) all of which compile fine! Its something about the fact its got 'thispointer' in brackets after the new according to the error but I've got no idea why it doesn't like that in one file but its fine in the original file.
Very strange! So is the error on the line with:

new(thisPointer) string();

If so, you may need to "#include <new>" in your source file (I think that's where the placement new is defined). If not, I'm all out of ideas!
Quote:Original post by desertcubeIf not, I'm all out of ideas!

well your in luck! Although including <new> wasn't the answer you reminded me that for debug builds i've #defined my own version of new to help detect memory leaks - and its this other version of new thats screwing things up as it can't handle items passed to it. As long as I put the function above the different new define its all ok!

Thanks for the help :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement