can the number of triangles in a convex model be odd

Started by
12 comments, last by shadow12345 19 years, 6 months ago
Simpler formula for polyhedra with holes:

The number of holes in a polyhedra is called its genus. For a surface of genus p, F - E + V = 2 - 2p.

Source: http://www.cut-the-knot.org/do_you_know/polyhedra.shtml
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Advertisement
I think by holes they mean holes like in torus...
anyway, if we have cube with one triangle removed, we have one hole and odd number of triangles. If we have 2 triangles removed, we have even number of triangles and either have 2 holes or we have one hole.

Iff number of boundary edges is even, number of triangles is even.
Yes, holes through the polyhedron like in a torus.
I was just clarifying the AP's "If I recall correctly" formula.
Euler's rule for graphs (Nodes + Regions = Arcs + 2) only applies to graphs drawn on a plane as well, graphs drawn on toruses [edit: that pass through the hole] break that rule also.
Topology is an interesting topic, I found it very hard though. Maybe I shouldn't have skived all my lectures all those years ago.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
Proven . Number of edges =(number of triangles * 3) / 2
So number of triangles must be even(otherwise we have non-integer number of edges), no matter if it's convex or not, it only need to be closed.

That's actually why I've posted...I came to the conclusion on my own (although probably everybody here on this forum already knew this) that to get the number of edges you multiply the number of triangles by 1.5, or 3/2, but only if the model is convex, and the number of triangles must always be even

EDIT:
and, like I said, I only care about convex models (so I can do things like run the brush algorithm on a transformed model for collision detection, stencil shadows, etc)
Why don't alcoholics make good calculus teachers?Because they don't know their limits!Oh come on, Newton wasn't THAT smart...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement