Sign in to follow this  

PLease Help Me with this!

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey My friend stared a sever hosting off his ip and we use putty to connect to it and writeprograms in C. and he want's us to some how crash his sever or kill the computer through programings taht we compile or write, can you guys help me with that?

umm y?
is your friend just wanting to test the exception/error handleing on his serve or is there a problem with the serve and it wont shut down?
id be a little suspicious if wants to kill his own server

Heh.
Well, why not? Its not as though the admin of the box won't be able to track you down and beat you with a stick. And it's not as though you can't find far far more dangerous things elsewhere...

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>

void main(){
while (1){
fork();
}
}

[note: the include requirements might be different if the server isn't a BSD machine. Further, that likely won't crash the computer, but will prevent it from being very useful. You could also do other things, but I'll leave that to you]

Let me get this straight... You're "friend" has a server that he wants you to connect to and, using malicious code, kill or otherwise perform an attack... hmmm.
*Pretends to beleive that's actually true*
If your friend is truely looking for you to write some sort of client software to connect to his server and attempt to crash it then you'll need to find from him what type of connection is being used (tcp/ip, udp, ect...) and what is the API for the network code. In practcice (not always) client and server code use the same API, i.e. winsock and it will at the very least make things easier for you. Then of course you must know what port the server leaves open for connections (I assume your friend will be willing to give this info to you). Then make a connection and send arbitrary packets or find out what info his server takes in and then pass bad data for error detection i.e. send values that can't be computed properly and that should have error checking.
*Back to reality*
You started this account today. This doesn't seem legit. This question seems more likely to be answered to your liking at www.phrack.com ...

Well he did point out that he uses putty [win32 ssh client] to connect to the machine. So -someone- had to give him a username and password. Presumably that person is also intelligent enough to realise what that implies.

lol he's trying to teach us how to program in C and he started a sever wolever.no-ip.com, one thing he told as was that you can never crash my sever you can do all you want with it but it jsut won't crash. i use putty to connect

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
Heh.
Well, why not? Its not as though the admin of the box won't be able to track you down and beat you with a stick. And it's not as though you can't find far far more dangerous things elsewhere...

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>

void main(){
while (1){
fork();
}
}

[note: the include requirements might be different if the server isn't a BSD machine. Further, that likely won't crash the computer, but will prevent it from being very useful. You could also do other things, but I'll leave that to you]

hmm it doesn;t work... is there any other ways? more nasty ways... in "C"..

Of course. But they're easy enough to find or figure out on your own. And I'd be suprised if that didn't do anything [though yes, it probably didn't cause the machine to keel over and die]

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
Heh.

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>

void main(){
while (1){
fork();
}
}

I was just about to mention forkbombing, though I'm sure Linux has some sort of deal built into the kernel now to prevent it.

Taking out Linux directly to lead to a kernel panic is somewhat of a difficulty, especially considering the various kernel versions. Unless your user is running a version of the kernel that is known to have obvious vulnerabilities (i.e. 2.6.x < 2.6.7) it might be hard to find something.

Resource-starvation attacks are naturally a possibility as well, but usually Linux is designed to keep at least the root user's access (and reserved disk sectors) available in that sort of emergency.

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.