• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
raptorstrike

allegro or SDL

This topic is 5125 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im having a dellema should i go for allegro or sdl? i know alot of people who like sdl but there is less documentation this would be my first time using a non councle based API (ie. windows,DOS) thanks [smile] ive read the forums and seen both librarys dised and praised i dont know Open GL and ive not really looked too far into eaither one

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
try both, i heard both are good
sdl has a license (LGPL i think) and Allegro is a giftware (you can do anything you want with this, no license).
i dont know sdl, but you can use allegro without opengl (for using allegro with opengl you can use allegroGL, which is also without a license. i think.)
some people will tell you to toss a coin, so first look at the sdl license and see if you agree with it. licenses are important, i think
another topic with same title as yours can be found here (i found it in the search engine)

I have used SDL several times and it seems like a very easy and effective way to go, both for OpenGL and non-opengl applications. I would highly recommend it.

Quote:

Original post by raptorstrike
i know alot of people who like sdl but there is less documentation this would be my first time using a non councle based API

download the docs - they cover everything, and are easy to navigate. for tutorials, cone3d is an excellent reference.
sdl itself is 2d, so unless you tell sdl to, opengl won't be initialized by default, just sdl. opengl is just there for those who want to use it through sdl. remember, opengl is separate from both sdl and allegro, so you don't have to use it with either of them if you don't want to.
Quote:

Original post by Mindwarp
I would highly recommend it[sdl].

indeed, although allegro does have more goodies (from what i've heard). its up to you.

For ease of use, I'd recommend Allegro first. Easier to get into for a beginner; SDL is somewhat lower-level. But as far as SDL vs. Allegro, both are very capable, so you can't pick wrong. Read over the general API's; see which one you like. Whichever one you pick, you can always try the other later. [smile]

were can i find the genral API i have yet to find an api that lists defines and describes the functions in either i found a very short one in sdl and a bit of a longer one in allegro but i dont think either one is the"full library"

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!