allegro or SDL

Started by
17 comments, last by 23yrold3yrold 19 years, 6 months ago
im having a dellema should i go for allegro or sdl? i know alot of people who like sdl but there is less documentation this would be my first time using a non councle based API (ie. windows,DOS) thanks [smile] ive read the forums and seen both librarys dised and praised i dont know Open GL and ive not really looked too far into eaither one
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Advertisement
try both, i heard both are good
sdl has a license (LGPL i think) and Allegro is a giftware (you can do anything you want with this, no license).
i dont know sdl, but you can use allegro without opengl (for using allegro with opengl you can use allegroGL, which is also without a license. i think.)
some people will tell you to toss a coin, so first look at the sdl license and see if you agree with it. licenses are important, i think
another topic with same title as yours can be found here (i found it in the search engine)
I have used SDL several times and it seems like a very easy and effective way to go, both for OpenGL and non-opengl applications. I would highly recommend it.
oops!
that was me, im the Anonymous Poster.
seems like my cookie has expired.
and here's the another topic. Linky
pex.
Quote:
Original post by raptorstrike
i know alot of people who like sdl but there is less documentation this would be my first time using a non councle based API

download the docs - they cover everything, and are easy to navigate. for tutorials, cone3d is an excellent reference.
sdl itself is 2d, so unless you tell sdl to, opengl won't be initialized by default, just sdl. opengl is just there for those who want to use it through sdl. remember, opengl is separate from both sdl and allegro, so you don't have to use it with either of them if you don't want to.
Quote:
Original post by Mindwarp
I would highly recommend it[sdl].

indeed, although allegro does have more goodies (from what i've heard). its up to you.
- stormrunner
I'd suggest SDL; there are more SDL resources out there than you might think. Try the game programming wiki's SDL page:

http://gpwiki.org/index.php/C:SDL

And, of course, there are always helpful people here to help you out if you get stuck :)

Ryan
--Visit the Game Programming Wiki!
For ease of use, I'd recommend Allegro first. Easier to get into for a beginner; SDL is somewhat lower-level. But as far as SDL vs. Allegro, both are very capable, so you can't pick wrong. Read over the general API's; see which one you like. Whichever one you pick, you can always try the other later. [smile]

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

were can i find the genral API i have yet to find an api that lists defines and describes the functions in either i found a very short one in sdl and a bit of a longer one in allegro but i dont think either one is the"full library"
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Allegro API
SDL API (I assume)

Isn't Google amazing? [grin]

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

hey thanks alot man
thanks every one for helping me out
[grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement