Sign in to follow this  

BETA testers needed for Lobby Server

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just finished the bulk of my new Lobby Server software, but I need more people to actually test it out. The WaltsGames.com Lobby Server is a new service under development that will allow players of compatible games (such as SPACE) to be able to find servers online in order to play a multiplayer game over the Internet. In order to test this out, I created a simple, yet functional, chat program. So all you have to do if you want to test this out is to download the Chat software, log on to a server and just say "hi" and tell me how things worked out ( beta@waltsgames.com ). Also included in the download is a program CHAT_HOST which will allow you to create a chat server. While I'll try to keep a server running for certain times during the day, I would be extremely thankful if a few other people would at least try to run a server for a short time to see if it works. Anyway, if you are interested in helping me out, you can find more information at http://www.waltsgames.com/LobbyServerBeta.html . There you can also download the CHAT application. Thank you very much for your time and any feedback you can give me. As I mentioned before, I'll try to keep a server running around these times: 10/08: 06:30pm - 10:00pm 10/09: 04:00pm - 10:00pm 10/10: 12:00pm - 10:00pm (those times are Eastern Standard). Thanks again, Walter O. Krawec

Just a quick update on the server times, on 10/10 I'll only run the server 7:00pm - 10:00pm Est. However on 10/11 the server will (should) be running from 12:00pm - 10:00pm Keep in mind that the times I mentioned are only the times I'm running a CHAT server myself. The WaltsGames.com Lobby Server is running 24/7 so you can setup your own CHAT server at any time.

Thanks again,
Walter

Thanks for trying it out! When you tried hosting your own game, did you press the "Host Game with WaltsGames.com Lobby" button? If so, what was the game name you entered for that host? I'm trying to track down a possible bug, and if you could give me the name you entered, it would help a lot.

Sorry about nobody being there... most people seem to log on at different times. But since I'm really testing the LobbyServer, and not the CHAT program, it's not a big deal. Tonight though for a short time I'll actually be logged on to the server (probably from 7-8 or 9pm).

Thanks again to everyone who has helped so far.

[Edited by - Sam Gamgee on October 10, 2004 6:57:07 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Sam Gamgee
Thanks for trying it out! When you tried hosting your own game, did you press the "Host Game with WaltsGames.com Lobby" button? If so, what was the game name you entered for that host? I'm trying to track down a possible bug, and if you could give me the name you entered, it would help a lot.

Sorry about nobody being there... most people seem to log on at different times. But since I'm really testing the LobbyServer, and not the CHAT program, it's not a big deal. Tonight though for a short time I'll actually be logged on to the server (probably until 8-9pm).

Thanks again to everyone who has helped so far.

Actually yes i did, its name was lol.

Interesting, the Lobby Server for some reason didn't seem to store the information. I hate to bother you with more questions, but how long did you keep your server running (a few minutes, a few seconds)?

OK, I think I fixed a small bug in the Host Game section of the Lobby Server. The fix is in the actual server code, not the CHAT program so you don't have to download an update.

Tomorrow I'll be running a CHAT server from 10:00am - 7:00pm . This will probably be the last time I run a server for a while. I will however keep the Lobby Server running for a week or so longer in case anyone wants to try hosting a server. After that, you'll have to wait for either another BETA test, or for SPACE to be released :)

Thanks again to everyone who has helped.

Sign in to follow this