• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
muko

problems with texture smooth movement

This topic is 5036 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I load some textures (1024*64), and then I move them to the left to make something like a scrolling text (I know this isn't the "professional" way to do this...). I use time related movement, something like: ... float pos=0.0f; float speed=-2.0f; //units*secs glTranslatef(pos, 0, 0); pos+=lastFrameTime*speed; ... I think this is the smoothest possible movement code... but on my pc (P3-700Mhz with GeForce2 GTS) it's not very smooth... I've tried to render only this stuff and it's the same... Why? Maybe it's because I must render the texture in more than a simple large GL_QUAD? Or maybe because I render the texture too close to the eye/screen ? P.S. is it better to use units*secs or units*millisec as unit for speed? The scroll must be quite slow but fluently to be readable...

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!