Sign in to follow this  

Memory errors I don't understand

This topic is 4819 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm writing an app using D3D9 and Winsock in C++. There are two memory errors I frequently get when exiting my program: The first that occurs is an "illegal operation". I've narrowed down the cause of it to the line "free(statik);" in my cleanup() function. It seems to crash like this with with all of my dynamically allocated memory, and only when I free it. I'll note that malloc() and realloc() have always worked flawlessly for me. I just don't get it o_O; My second error also occurs when my program is exiting: The instruction at "0x007a6696" referenced memory at "0x007a6696". The memory could not be "written". An alternate version of this I get reads "The memory could not be "read"." Now what I first thought when seeing this is "0x007a6696 == 0x007a6696, that's probably not a good thing, heh", and I figured I had done something stupid like pointing a pointer to itself. I went through all my code and couldn't find anything problematic like that. So now I'm thinking "buffer overflow" or something. I dunno if I'm even in the right ball park, though. Could someone tell me what kind of thing causes an error like this? I'll note that I didn't have this problem until I wrote code for my UDP interface and my client and server started sending packets to eachother

This topic is 4819 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.