Sign in to follow this  

a couple questions

This topic is 4816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm already made Tic Tac Toe for the sake of getting down graphics programming and event driven stuff with SDL. ok I'm currently working on an Online Poker Game, with consists of a client program and a server program. This is primarily to get a feel for SDL_mixer, SDL_image, SDL_net, and to play around with SDL_gfx. after that, I plan to make a tetris...... errr... "Mutation" (not exactly a clone). So I can learn basic collision detection, real time gaming and real time online play instead of just turn based stuff. I have a few questions: 1) is there any other SDL tools I should get? 2) what do you think is the next thing I should learn? 3) how much will not being able to take physics 'til fall 2005 (damn crappy college <_<), inhibit my game dev'ing? 4) do you think a fighting game would be too advanced after finishing the tetris mutation?

Quote:
Original post by Lazy Foo
I'm already made Tic Tac Toe for the sake of getting down graphics programming and event driven stuff with SDL.

ok I'm currently working on an Online Poker Game, with consists of a client program and a server program. This is primarily to get a feel for SDL_mixer, SDL_image, SDL_net, and to play around with SDL_gfx.

after that, I plan to make a tetris...... errr... "Mutation" (not exactly a clone). So I can learn basic collision detection, real time gaming and real time online play instead of just turn based stuff.

I have a few questions:

1) is there any other SDL tools I should get?

2) what do you think is the next thing I should learn?

3) how much will not being able to take physics 'til fall 2005 (damn crappy college <_<), inhibit my game dev'ing?

4) do you think a fighting game would be too advanced after finishing the tetris mutation?

Not exactly sure what you mean by SDL tools, so I can't offer any input on that. As for the other three questions...

2: It really all depends on what your future goals are. Do you want to go to 3D graphics (i'm guessing yes). If so, i'd begin learning OpenGL and getting it all working with SDL.

3: Not taking physics (if you're planning on only doing 2D games for the near future) won't inhibit you much. As long as you know at least a little bit of basic physics (i.e. Newton's laws and similar things) I think you should be fine.

4: It really depends on what you picked up in your previous projects, how many features you want implemented, how complete you want the game to be, etc. I don't know about your previous experience or at what rate you learn, so this is a hard question to answer.

Hope i've helped some. These are questions just about every aspiring game maker asks along the way, and there are really no formulaic answers for every person. Everything depends on the person. Good luck.

This topic is 4816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.