Sign in to follow this  

Terrain Texturing

This topic is 4814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I read an article here on gamedev that talked about rendering terrain, and the author used 3d textures, he wasnt using them in the way we use 3d textures today(it was a software render.) Anyway, I wrote a terrain render that uses 3d textures, I Plan on using some Pixelshader operations later on to do Texture Splating. But right now im seeing some problems on certain Cards, that should run this. Im not going to say what that card is because I want this test to be unpolluted by such things. The Zip is located here http://www.wafflestudios.com/TerrainTest.zip If you could reply with your Video card info and how it ran I would be most appriciative.

I get a rock solid 552 fps, (Gf6800 GT), but there might be a problem, the "terrain" seems to be only a flat textured plane, and I can't look around or move. is that normal? O_o

Well its not just flat but it, does not have a really big change in the heights. So it does kindof look like a flat plane. Umm this was mostly just to make sure that it wasnt a problem with newer Nvidia cards, I use a Geforce 3 and it works fine. But my roomate has a 5700 and it wont even load, infact it wont load anything i try to do. It doesnt make much sense, and its driving me mad, I am using the same drivers and the same OS so i can rule those problems out. Anyway thanks to those who have helped with this. Maybe i should add a movable camera and maybe some simple collision detection, but for now im going to work on the pixel shader so I can Multitexture using just one texture :)

Quote:
Original post by HippieHunter
Well its not just flat but it, does not have a really big change in the heights. So it does kindof look like a flat plane. Umm this was mostly just to make sure that it wasnt a problem with newer Nvidia cards, I use a Geforce 3 and it works fine. But my roomate has a 5700 and it wont even load, infact it wont load anything i try to do. It doesnt make much sense, and its driving me mad, I am using the same drivers and the same OS so i can rule those problems out. Anyway thanks to those who have helped with this. Maybe i should add a movable camera and maybe some simple collision detection, but for now im going to work on the pixel shader so I can Multitexture using just one texture :)

Well the card I tested on was an fx5700 mobile on Windows XP with the latest nVidia drivers.

The fx5700m is basically the equivelent of the desktop 5700 non-ultra, and as I stated above it worked perfectly fine.

So I chaged it a bit, if it failed for you, it should now tell you why. ajoling, did you extract the entire zip, if you did I should probly do some digging to find out what could have caused this problem.

On my machine it crashes with the following message:

---------------------------
HeightMaping !0!: HugeHeightMapRender.exe - Application Error
---------------------------
The instruction at "0x002b7b5b" referenced memory at "0x6d6f430c". The memory could not be "written".

This is on a GeForce2 GTS 32MB.

Guest Anonymous Poster
on my laptop, it makes :

145fps
ati radeon mobility 9700
athlon 64 3000+
512 mo ram

Quote:
Original post by HippieHunter
So I chaged it a bit, if it failed for you, it should now tell you why. ajoling, did you extract the entire zip, if you did I should probly do some digging to find out what could have caused this problem.

it says "Failed" and comes with the same error as above.

Remind you, it's a voodoo3. No 32bit zbuffer, no 32bit formats, no vertex hardware processing, no stencil buffer... :)

450FPS with my radeon 9500 (oh yeah! that's right! year-and-a-half old card!)

i wish i could turn and move though. and i wish the terrain were bumpier.

Crashed immediately on my laptop without further explanation, although I was offered to tell microsoft about this problem ;)

GeForce 4200 Go 64 MB
Intel 1400 Mhz Mobile
512 MB DDR
WinXP Prof

This topic is 4814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.