Visualn Studio linker problem

Started by
3 comments, last by smart_idiot 19 years, 6 months ago
I'm new to Windows programming, and I've been trying to assemble a program that creates a window alot of times! But I always end up getting errors! :( Now I've done it again, and this time it isn't a compiler error, but a linker error:( Well anyway, here is my source: ================================================================ /****************************************************************************** * bool initWindow( HINSTANCE hInstance ) * initWindow registers the window class for the application, creates the window ******************************************************************************/ #include <windows.h> HINSTANCE hInst; // global handle to hold the application instance HWND wndHandle; // global variable to hold the window handle // forward declarations bool initWindow(HINSTANCE hInstance); LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM); // This is winmain, the main entry point for Windows applications int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPTSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) { // Initialize the window if (!initWindow(hInstance)) return false; // main message loop: MSG msg; ZeroMemory( &msg, sizeof(msg)); while(msg.message!=WM_QUIT) { // Check the message queue while (GetMessage(&msg, wndHandle, 0, 0)) { TranslateMessage(&msg); DispatchMessage(&msg); } } return (int) msg.wParam; } bool initWindow(HINSTANCE hInstance) { WNDCLASSEX wcex; // Fill in the WNDCLASSEX structure. This describes how the window // will look to the system wcex.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX); // the size of the structure wcex.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW; // the class style wcex.lpfnWndProc = (WNDPROC)WndProc; // the window procedure callback wcex.cbClsExtra = 0; // extra bytes to allocate for this class wcex.cbWndExtra = 0; // extra bytes to allocate for this instance wcex.hInstance = hInstance; // handle to the application instance wcex.hIcon = 0; // icon to associate with the application wcex.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW); // the default cursor wcex.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)(COLOR_WINDOW+1); // the background color wcex.lpszMenuName = NULL; // the resource name for the menu wcex.lpszClassName = "DirectXExample"; // the class name being created wcex.hIconSm = 0; // the handle to the small icon RegisterClassEx(&wcex); // Create the window wndHandle = CreateWindow( "DirectXExample", "DirectXExample", WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, // the window class to use // the title bar text // the window style CW_USEDEFAULT, // the starting x coordinate CW_USEDEFAULT, // the starting y coordinate 640, // the pixel width of the window 480, // the pixel height of the window NULL, // the parent window; NULL for desktop NULL, // the menu for the application; NULL for none hInstance, // the handle to the application instance NULL); // no values passed to the window // Make sure that the window handle that is created is valid if (!wndHandle) return false; // Display the window on the screen ShowWindow(wndHandle, SW_SHOW); UpdateWindow(wndHandle); return true; } /****************************************************************************** * LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, * LPARAM lParam) * The window procedure ******************************************************************************/ LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) { // Check any available messages from the queue switch (message) { case WM_DESTROY: PostQuitMessage(0); break; } // Always return the message to the default window // procedure for further processing return DefWindowProc(hWnd, message, wParam, lParam); } ================================================================ The errors that I get are called LNK2001 and LNK1120. Here's what it ssays: LIBCD.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main Debug/CreateWindow.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals Can someone please help me out?
_______________________Afr0Games
Advertisement
You're probably linking it as a Console app rather than a Windows GUI application (it's looking for main instead of WinMain).
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Follow Project-> Project Settings-> Link
Then look for /subsystem:console and change it to /subsystem:windows. It should work. I hope so :)
To be programmer or not...
Thank you so much guys! :D I've never been in a forum where I've gotten response this quickly before. Apparently, there's some things I've yet to learn about Visual Studio:\
_______________________Afr0Games
For future reference, this:

[source]
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello World!" << std::endl;
return 0;
}
[/source]

Becomes this:

#include <iostream>int main() {  std::cout << "Hello World!" << std::endl;  return 0; }

Makes reading source code a little easier.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement