Sign in to follow this  

Hi, I want to make an e-mail checking program

This topic is 4811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all I want to create a program that will be able to check your e-mail account (like Yahoo, Hotmail...) and post the new e-mails in a text file on your computer. Now, I want to use VB 6.0 in order to create that program (I have been told that it is possible to create such a program there). Anyway, I have also been told that there is an e-mail protocol dll that I can use in order to create the program, but, I (and the person who told me about it) don't know how to use that dll... I hope someone here can help me with it, or, give me a link to a website that would help me with that. Thanks in advance for the help :)

It's been some time since I used VB, and I didn't play around much with email services when I did use it, but I think you might be talking about the MAPISession and MAPIMessages controls (MAPI is Messaging Application Program Interface, according to MSDN, where the controls are documented). If that's the case, right-click on the toolbar, click Components, put a check next to "Microsoft MAPI Controls 6.0", then hit Apply.

Hi
I have looked into the MAPI dll, it only supports OutLock Express, so I can't use it (I want to create the program for e-mails like Yahoo)... But thanks for the suggestion anyway.
I am going to try to learn how the POP3 protocol works, thanks for the help there too :).

For web mail like you're talking about, you're probably going to have to use HTTP to get the web pages and then use pattern matching to get the email list out of the HTML.

I'm fairly certain that the services you list do not provide access via standard mail protocols.

Quote:
Original post by LinkOfTime
Hi
I have looked into the MAPI dll, it only supports OutLock Express, so I can't use it (I want to create the program for e-mails like Yahoo)... But thanks for the suggestion anyway.
I am going to try to learn how the POP3 protocol works, thanks for the help there too :).

Outlook Express can check any POP3 service, including Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.

This topic is 4811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.