Hi, I want to make an e-mail checking program

Started by
8 comments, last by Oluseyi 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi all I want to create a program that will be able to check your e-mail account (like Yahoo, Hotmail...) and post the new e-mails in a text file on your computer. Now, I want to use VB 6.0 in order to create that program (I have been told that it is possible to create such a program there). Anyway, I have also been told that there is an e-mail protocol dll that I can use in order to create the program, but, I (and the person who told me about it) don't know how to use that dll... I hope someone here can help me with it, or, give me a link to a website that would help me with that. Thanks in advance for the help :)
Don''t have one, sorry.
Advertisement
It's been some time since I used VB, and I didn't play around much with email services when I did use it, but I think you might be talking about the MAPISession and MAPIMessages controls (MAPI is Messaging Application Program Interface, according to MSDN, where the controls are documented). If that's the case, right-click on the toolbar, click Components, put a check next to "Microsoft MAPI Controls 6.0", then hit Apply.
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
If you want to do this manually, look into the POP3 protocol. Its all text based, so it shouldn't be too much effort to deal with, and its a good learning experience.
MAPI is much, much easier. It's the Mail API.

Perhaps this code snippet will be a good start. After that, just Google for mapi vb and read what comes up.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Hi
I have looked into the MAPI dll, it only supports OutLock Express, so I can't use it (I want to create the program for e-mails like Yahoo)... But thanks for the suggestion anyway.
I am going to try to learn how the POP3 protocol works, thanks for the help there too :).
Don''t have one, sorry.
For web mail like you're talking about, you're probably going to have to use HTTP to get the web pages and then use pattern matching to get the email list out of the HTML.

I'm fairly certain that the services you list do not provide access via standard mail protocols.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
yes webmail interfaces using HTTP protocol, but it is possible
Outlook Express etc. can check your webmail (its a configuration option when you create a new mail account.)
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
BlueHttpMail. It's open source (and it's done most of the heavy lifting for you). Leverage it.
Quote:Original post by LinkOfTime
Hi
I have looked into the MAPI dll, it only supports OutLock Express, so I can't use it (I want to create the program for e-mails like Yahoo)... But thanks for the suggestion anyway.
I am going to try to learn how the POP3 protocol works, thanks for the help there too :).

Outlook Express can check any POP3 service, including Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Outlook Express can check any POP3 service, including Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.
Their free webmail services are not POP3.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement