Noob question: When is time to move on and where to?

Started by
14 comments, last by JimPrice 19 years, 6 months ago
I just started learning C++ a week ago, so I don't expect to "move on" anytime soon, of course. But I want to know at what time I can move on and where to. FOr example, when will I be able to deal with graphics? After I mastered the console and events? And what kind of API: Win32, OpenGl, DirectX? Also, what books will help me get through certain topics? (I know there is a book review section, but I'd like specific opinions from you guys =P) For C++, I have: The Complete Reference and Beginning C++ Game Programming (I will probably finish the last this weekend, it's pretty easy).
Advertisement
A 3D API like OpenGL or Direct3D would be probably be a bit daunting for you if you're still only familiar with the console. I suggest taking a swing at one of the well-known 2D libraries such as Allegro or SDL. There aren't many books on either, but they are easy enough to learn that you shouldn't need to dish out cash on books. A short browse through the Alternative Game Libraries forum should get you the answers you need on getting started with either.

Good luck!
I would suggest learning sdl, because you can use it to do 2d graphics for a while, then afterwards you can use it to set up opengl on virtually every platform.
Kinda hard to say at this stage.Once you have mastered the DOS stuff move on to the Win32 API and after getting a good grasp start out with OpenGl or DirectX.

I preffer OpenGL since it's small and simple while DX is huge and difficult.Also OpenGL seems to work better on a verity of systems unlike DirectX.

GameTutorials
OpenGL
NeHe

Then there are 2D APIs like Allgero and SDL

SDL(Simple DirectMedia Layer)
Allegro

For Allegro you will need DJGPP which is a 32-bit DPMI DOS compiler
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
i dont know it was kinda good to get the whole "event driven programming" concept with windows but (this is my opinion) windows API was so crappy i dont thinkn im going back to that so maybe skipping it will free up more time for better APIs then again if you want to try it go for it. it dose help you see inside what a windows program dose out in the open and donst hide it like alot of the other librarys do
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Hey, I've got a noob question too. My friend who works at EA games said that theres three main ways to get into the game developing field, Art, Programming, and QA. What does QA stand for?
Quote:Original post by Cookies_Galore
Hey, I've got a noob question too. My friend who works at EA games said that theres three main ways to get into the game developing field, Art, Programming, and QA. What does QA stand for?

It stands for Quality Assurance - the guys who test the games and try to break them (find bugs and whatnot).

-Joe
Hey SiOn, I also suggest learning SDL. I have a tutorial site meant for people who've just learned C++. You'll definately want to get the console stuff down first, but if you're interested, just click my siggie.
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
Cool =)

Also, is this book a good start -- > "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus"
Well, not necessarily a start, I know some C++... but graphics wise I mean.
Quote:
Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus

That book was my bible for a period of about 9 months =)
If you haven't bought it, do so now. It covers just about everything you will need to start making games for Windows. And I mean EVERYTHING. Mr. LaMothe also has a second edition follow-up that goes deep into 3D.

Since you are just staring, this book is probably far ahead of you, but it will definitely come in handy down the road.

Always plan ahead =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement