Here's a project for everyone, maps

Started by
9 comments, last by capn_midnight 23 years, 6 months ago
I''m making a rougelike (I think that''s the word). I''m using text files to store the map data so that I don''t have to recompile each time I edit the map. okay, the only thing I''m having problems with is actually making them, i.e. the imagination it takes to make them. If I were to make a map editor, would any of you like to help me make the maps? This isn''t a major project, but if it goes well and I do get it done, then I will give you all credit. Even those that give constructive, detail suggestions will get a technical credit. shut up CAN I GET A WOO WOO!

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
I''ll help you in spirit. Do I get on the credits list for that

I did some level editor for a tile based game few months ago that I didn''t finish. If you would like the source just mail me. gsm@hi.is

Good luck
Roguelikes dont have map files or anything of the sort! They all generate random maps during runtime. There is some parts that are loaded off map files such as quest rooms and the town but otherwise as far as i know its all random
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Roguelikes dont have map files or anything of the sort! They all generate random maps during runtime. There is some parts that are loaded off map files such as quest rooms and the town but otherwise as far as i know its all random

I didn''i know that. Like Diablo then?
Roguelike games *originally* generated all the levels at random, ad nauseam. And yes, Diablo is a rip off !
If you want plentyfull of information on Roguelikes, existing ones, how to *MAKE* one, etc go to Roguelike News
MMmm, should be enough for now.
Maybe go on ADoM and get the program called QHack, which is a QuickHack, or a skeleton program to do your own Roguelike, based on the ever popular ADOM

good luck !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
okay, so it''s not a roguelike. I guess it would be more like a tile based RPG that uses letters instead of bitmap tiles. So far, the tiling works really well. I have a number of map files (all .txt files, is there anyway I can change that so that I have a meaningful extension.

shut up
CAN I GET A WOO WOO!

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I''d help.I love rogue-likes.

Runemaster now working on Acronia : Secrets of Magic
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !
The Specular Lightosis Research Fund
" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Sorry, I was gonna actually say that there is nothing wrog in making hand made levels. It''s jsut that most creators can''t bother. ADOM on the other hand, has tons of custom levels (that is, they are hand made), and this bring some fresh blood to the genre. There are other roguelike doing that actually, and the trend of having some random levels, with other fixed ones is getting bigger... and that''s a good thing IMO
Personally, I am waiting for someone to do a cross between the collness of roguelike and the richness of MUDs ... imagine MUD zones being designed in a roguelike fashion ? Now that would be cool

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
actually, that''s kind of funny. My plan is to have full text descriptions of the rooms along with the rouge-like-like maps. I have four corners of the screen planned out, map, text description, status (I think I could make this a changeable corner, it could be player status, item list, weapon and armor stuff or whatever), and battle screen.

shut up
CAN I GET A WOO WOO!

actually, you know what, it's pretty easy to edit the maps by hand. Goto this page to get all you need.

I will still be working on a level editor, though, so don't fret too much. I have a design going right now that makes it really easy to make the maps, but it isn't storing them too well, so I'll have to work on it some more.

This is my first game written in C, and it may very well be the best game I've made.

CAN I GET A WOO WOO!

Edited by - capn_midnight on October 9, 2000 12:46:43 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement