Massive Computation: C++ vs C#

Started by
8 comments, last by doynax 19 years, 6 months ago
Ok. Remember what I said about the project I am doing? - It is so much computations, that real time is out of the question. - I am going to use .NET. - I need to get it done fast. What would you recommend?
Advertisement
If real-time is out of the question then go ahead and use C#, if that's what you wan't to use and gets the job done better and quicker. If you wan't best of both worlds just create a DLL with all your math computations in C++ and link to it from C#.
-------------Become part of developing the specifications of a new language. Visit CodeBASIC.org
IIRC C# is somewhat slower at floating point. It was, anyway; that may have changed.

But if you're not working in real time, I don't know how much it matters, and if you're writing managed code anyway, you may as well go for C#.

Although the DLL idea is not a bad one...I'm not sure how much comparative overhead the dynamic linking will cause.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I recommend you profile.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Quote:Original post by Sagar_Indurkhya
Ok. Remember what I said about the project I am doing?

Nope. And I hate it when people assume I do. You should provide a link next time.
Remember what I said about the project I am doing?

Who are you?
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey
Ok. Remember what I said about the project I am doing?

Nope. And I hate it when people assume I do. You should provide a link next time.

Sorry, I meant for the people who posted last time to post again. Umhhh, it is just a project that does huge calculations. It isn't in real time. It records variables into a log, and can play them back like a movie.
You won't be able to run it in a data center if you use .NET..
But unless you need truly massive calculations then that shouldn't be an issue, so use whatever language gets the job done faster.
What is a data center? I meant for it to run on my home cpu. It records a log file, so that I can stop and start it at any time.
What is a data center? I meant for it to run on my home cpu. It records a log file, so that I can stop and start it at any time.
I meant a super computer.
Your local university might be able to donate/lease you some cpu time for research projects.
But it'll probably take weeks to setup so unless the simulation would take months to complete on a home computer it's not really an option.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement