Sign in to follow this  

Dynamically changing styles from CreateWindowEx

This topic is 4810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, When creating a window using CreateWindowEx you specify a dwExstyle and a dwstyle. I'd like to be able to change my dwstyle from WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW to WS_POPUP and back again on the fly - that is, a key stroke allows the program to change between the 2 styles once it is running. I'm fairly sure that SetWindowLong doesn't allow you to do this - it only allows changing a limited set of the style parameters. Does anyone know of anyway of doing (or appearing to do) this, or am I on a hiding to nothing? Regards, Jim.

Yeah, I've tried this but it just seems to crash the program - the first example I tried was just adding an HSCROLL when you pressed the space button, but it seems to relegate the target window to be underneath everything else.

Thanks,
Jim.

To clarify that last point, in my CALLBACK procedure I'm using:

case VK_SPACE:

SetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_STYLE, dwStyle | WS_HSCROLL);
SetWindowPos(
hwnd,
HWND_TOPMOST,
SWP_NOMOVE | SWP_NOSIZE | SWP_NOZORDER | SWP_FRAMECHANGED);

return 0;
[\source]

I thought SetWindowLongPtr was just the same as SetWindowLong, except it is compatible with 32 and 64 bit systems - in which case it wouldn't address the issue. I'll have a go though.

Thanks,
Jim.

This topic is 4810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.