Dynamically changing styles from CreateWindowEx

Started by
4 comments, last by JimPrice 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi, When creating a window using CreateWindowEx you specify a dwExstyle and a dwstyle. I'd like to be able to change my dwstyle from WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW to WS_POPUP and back again on the fly - that is, a key stroke allows the program to change between the 2 styles once it is running. I'm fairly sure that SetWindowLong doesn't allow you to do this - it only allows changing a limited set of the style parameters. Does anyone know of anyway of doing (or appearing to do) this, or am I on a hiding to nothing? Regards, Jim.
Advertisement
After using SetWindowLong, do you call SetWindowPos so the cached window data is refreshed?
Yeah, I've tried this but it just seems to crash the program - the first example I tried was just adding an HSCROLL when you pressed the space button, but it seems to relegate the target window to be underneath everything else.

Thanks,
Jim.
To clarify that last point, in my CALLBACK procedure I'm using:

case VK_SPACE:	 SetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_STYLE,  dwStyle | WS_HSCROLL); SetWindowPos(   hwnd,    HWND_TOPMOST,   0,   0,   400,   300,   SWP_NOMOVE | SWP_NOSIZE | SWP_NOZORDER | SWP_FRAMECHANGED);			return 0;[\source]
Use SetWindowLongPtr().
I thought SetWindowLongPtr was just the same as SetWindowLong, except it is compatible with 32 and 64 bit systems - in which case it wouldn't address the issue. I'll have a go though.

Thanks,
Jim.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement