Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

diablo

Direct3D IM objects

diablo    122
Hi everyone I''m having problems with getting 3d objects in Direct3D IM. I''m working on a game, which I want to be working in Direct3D. Of course, it needs objects (creatures, building, landscape, etc). But my problem is, how should I make them? Should I include all coordinates of the objects'' polygons in the source? or in a file? if, what kind of file? how do I make those files? Anyone, please help me out! Thanks Diablo

Ridcully    122
there are a number of file formats for 3d-models available.
the most common should be .3ds, generated with, guess, 3d-studio, you should find the specifications somewhere on the net.
more interesting when working with dx could be .x files. they are a fileformat created by microsoft for applications using D3DRM but there is both a converter and sample code on how to load them in IM in the sdk. also there is a tutorial on this subject on gamedev (not sure how it''s called, click on programming and then directx)
then, you might want to create your own format, but i''d recommend using a existing one because you''d have to write your own converters and stuff

rid