Sign in to follow this  

my first real game

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You can download it at http://www.deadfishgames.com/games.htm You can learn alot about the game here : http://www.deadfishgames.com/howtoplaykozoken.htm Its the result of a few months of collaboration with some friends, and *alot* of research and effort on my part, so I would appreciate getting any feedback. Ive been programming for years, but this is my first real product, and I would like to hear any and all opinions. thanx again, -Jason PS I forgot to mention, you can import your own ship graphics into the game. See the above links for a how-to. [Edited by - nosajghoul on October 11, 2004 3:54:29 PM]

Graphic is little...old.
Just out of curiosity: how many copies have you sold? I'm working on similar project ( 3d space arcade ) and I was wondering if it's worth the time invested in it?

Actually only a few, but I *just* finished everything, and am still trying to get it out there. The ship graphics are retro, and are supposed to look that way. Its my interpretation of asteroids modernized, so theres alot of new and alot of old.

-Jason

First off, congratulations on launching a product! It looks pretty good. Here are some things that I noted while playing:

- The demo timelimit of 1 minute is really short. At least you don't quit the game entirely, though.

- The space ship is incredibly hard to control. Basically, I was just flying around the screen randomly, because I couldn't control where I was going.

- What is the objective of the game? Am I trying to kill all the enimies, or am I trying to go for a high score? It would be nice to have a HUD telling the user how many enimies are left or what their current score is.

- I like how the ship changes color based on the damage level. However, it would be nice to have a text-based health meter, too.

- The intro screen needs a little work. For instance, when you mouse over the titles, they should probably highlight or something.

- Let the user control the ship with the WASD keys, as well as the arrow keys. A lot of users actually prefer this (I know I do).

- The particle system looks really good!

- The music sounds good, as well.

Best of luck with this! [smile]

I was playing the demo, and I received the following Error Message:
Assert Failed
g_cFGObjects==0
At line 5868 of d:\builds\nt32_ck\multimedia\dshow\filters\core\filgraph\filgraph.cpp
Continue? (Cancel to debug)

----------------------------------
My System:
1.4 Ghz Intel Centrino
Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Card
DirectX 9.0b
512 MB Ram
(I know -- it's a laptop)
-----------------------------------
I also received a similar error when quiting the application.
How much testing has been done? I don't think it should be crashing after playing for like 2 minutes.

Also, as mentioned before, whats the point to the game. I mean, the graphics and the particle system are pretty nice, but there doesn't seem to be too much gameplay. I think you may want to let users know more of whats in the full version, so more people would buy it.

[Edited by - wyrzy on October 10, 2004 1:07:29 PM]

Thanks for all the feedback! I was really stressing over your reactions, and all the comments have proven helpful!

psycho dude: "First impression was this is just some leet form of astroids" - Yes, my line of thought was 'what if asteroids were to be made for the first time today, it would still be kinda retro but still have alot of the same functionality'. I could have easily maxxed out on effects and animations and 3D objects with diffuse reflections of specular highlights, but I wanted to stay true to my goals.

wyrzy : I am looking in depth at your error. I will try to contact you as soon as I can fix this (hopefully by this evening) I apologize for the inconvieneince. "Also, as mentioned before, whats the point to the game" - Its a game, for your amusement. :) There is no end (well.....), but there is a storyline (see online at http://www.deadfishgames.com/howtoplaykozoken.htm) This page also tells you more about the game.

circlesoft : I should list you as a tester lol!
1: Demo is short, I suppose I could take the time limit off and just restrict it to the first level. I will debate this with my team later.
2:The spacecraft is touchy, yes. You can control its speed with the up and down arrows. Not going all out at first is a good way to learn it. Eventually, when you finally 'get' the pace of the game, you may be asking for more speed. Its really fun to be able to zoom like a bat out of hell between things, around things, and use the wrap around to your advantage. Have you gotten all the upgrades and seen what happens?
3:"would be nice to have a text-based health meter" - Hit TAB or SPACE to see / clear a small HUD.
4:"control the ship with the WASD keys" - Done, give me 15 minutes to upload it and it will work that way too.
5:The particles are done with the cSprite class! :) The size, movement and duration and rotation are all set to within a range of predefined parameters. It was fun to make this aspect of the game.

Ill check back later to answer any questions!

-Jason

Some ppl wondered if the game was beatable, and what the point was, and whats the deal with powerups. To them I say : have you seen this?

http://www.deadfishgames.com/images/kozoken_all_out.jpg

The orange powerups either a)increase your fire rate b)make you faster c)make you turn faster

The yellow ones are repair pods. Your hull strength is persistent from level to level if you have an excess.

There is a fairly easy way to max out your ship.

Some upgrades are persistent between levels, others (longshot, bouncy, etc...) are not.

To go up level, get 3 orbs. (The blue circular things)

Have fun with it :)

-Jason

Hey nice game.

Ok here we go.

Quote:

While taking in the sites on a cross-galactic cruize one day your support vessel came under attack by the vile whod-units. Slimy green and perfectly 2 dimensional they have scattered critical parts of your ship across their sector. You must now find those pieces with the hopes that you can reassemble them later. But fear not! Your homeplanet has hurled some repair kits among other things your way and asked you to erradicate the menace of the whod-units!!

I believe that should be "sights" and "2-dimensional." That second sentence doesn't read well.

Quote:

kozoken has many upgrades including projectile upgrades (like 3 way shot long range etc...) and ship upgrades (improved speed maneuverability etc...) There are also 8 different opponents each with their own behaviors and statistics. Some upgrades are only obtainable by killing an opponent and picking it up if he drops one. Others spawn randomly. By picking up enough of a certian kind of upgrade you can become almost un-killable and its pretty funny to watch this. (hint : hit TAB to see what your ship stats are. Hitting SPACE makes the stats window go away.) When youve maxxed one stat your star trail changes. When you max them all....

Kozoken has many upgrades, including projectile upgrades (like 3-way shot, long-range, etc) and ship upgrades (improved speed ,maneuverability, etc) There are also 8 different opponents each with their own behaviors and statistics. Some upgrades are only obtainable by killing an opponent and picking it up after it drops, others spawn randomly. By picking up enough of a certian kind of upgrade, you can become almost invincible and its pretty funny to watch this. Hint : hit TAB to see what your ship stats are, hit space to make the stats window go away. When you've maxxed one stat, your star trail changes. When you max them all...

Quote:

To go up a level, you must collect 3 of :

I collected 3 orbs, and I don't think it changed levels.

Quote:

minimum :
 DirectX 8 or later
 Windows 95 and up
 128MB RAM
 15MB free disk space

reccomended :
 Pentium 3 1.2Ghz or better
 256MB RAM or more
 3D video card (ATI or nVidia reccomended)

I really doubt those &-nbsp should be there [smile].

About the Game
Having mouse-control for the menu is pointless. You don't use the mouse for anything in game, so the keyboard should be used to control the menu as well. None of this 123 stuff either; it should be up, down, and enter (or space or control). And like someone suggested, the menu should highlight selections. Futhermore, the TAB and SPACE thing is confusing. It should be TAB to bring up the menu and TAB to turn it off.

boder : "I collected 3 orbs, and I don't think it changed levels." - Do you have the demo version? Its restricted to the first level.

"Futhermore, the TAB and SPACE thing is confusing. It should be TAB to bring up the menu and TAB to turn it off." - Youre right, the only reason I can think of why I did it that way is I got used to that way playing diablo.

"And like someone suggested, the menu should highlight selections." - Enough people have mentioned something about this that I will probably implement it today.

thanks for the input!
-Jason

Sign in to follow this