RPG Realism vs. Hack'n Slash

Started by
14 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 6 months ago
If the goal is realism then somethings wrong. The goal should be entertainment. Most of my meals are mundane and boring. Going out to diner with friends in a fine restruant is an entirely differant story. If you can simulate that then you add something to the game. You arrive at the next town, head to the tavern, have a meal, some drinks, individuals head out to sell loot and restock, you spend the night at the inn and you head out. You don't do it because you have to, but because it is going to take people time to do everything they need to and in the real world they need to use the bathroom, grab something to eat or get a fresh drink. Setting in the tavern telling tall tales is a way to pass the time while you wait. Spending the night in an inn is a way to let people know you are afk and when you are back.

There is certainly no problem with making food a resource in the game that needs to be managed. You eat food, you drink a potion, what differance does it make. It doesn't matter if you died in some fight because you ran out of healing potions or because you haven't eaten or slept in days. It's a resource to be managed, you failed to manage it and as a result you died. Forget roleplaying though. That isn't roleplaying, but rather it's playing a game according to the rules of the game. The player doesn't want to watch a movie of their character walking through the world killing everything it comes across. They want an active role. They want decisions that at least give the appearance of mattering. So they need resources to manage. Skill/attribute points, potions, food, gold, backpack space, etc. You don't want to just give them widgets, every five minutes a widget disappears, when they run out of widgets they die so they have to keep hunting widgets. If that's what you want to make food then don't bother.

When it comes to roleplaying though don't mistake props for resources to be managed. Resources management is part of the game. Props are just for laughs and giggles. The wolves are running rampant over the farms killing cows as soon as they pop so a steak here costs an arm and a leg. You're in a sea port so its fish everything in every tavern you go to. You find a run down tavern in the back woods, stop for a meal and get sick. You drank too many ales in too short a period of time so now you can't walk a straight line, you're insulting the local residents and a detail of the city guard is following you down the street until you leave town. That adds something to the atmosphere which promote roleplaying, but having to collect and eat 1,000 apples, all apples, nothing but apples, until you hope you never see another apple again adds nothing to the roleplaying.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
Advertisement
Perhaps some sort of hp regenerator, linked with eating?

The player sets (and can change at any time) the level of eating, from starvation to gormet.

At startavion, you loose x hp 3 times a day (when you should be eating).

At gormet, you gain x hp 3 times a day (because you have eaten)

At mediocre, you neither gain, nor loose any points.

You have a fixed amount of food, which you can buy at shops, find, ect. And when you eat (which is fixed), you loose an amount of food based on what level you are at (at starvation, you sue no food, at gormet you use heaps).

Just an idea...
DENC
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
I think it all depends on the type of RPG. It would be stupid for an RPG like Diablo to have a food system since the player rarely wanders far from town (or at least in the first one they didn't).

However, in a more traditional, "epic" style RPG where the players might have to make there way across a large continent, I could see a food like system working. This is because the adventuring is the main focus in a game like this, while in Diablo the main focus is about combat.
--------------------------<modena> - Comfortably Nub
Great input everyone. The system we are using is based on skills. We did not want to go with only a skill level/number to base total proficiency on. To me it is beyond unrealistic to say a player will always perform at the same level no matter what. Using an energy system of sorts that will vary the effectiveness of skills is what we are shooting for. The food (and possibly rest) are going to tied into that. It takes in to consideration the quality/type of food on energy replenishment while the predetermined effort levels for the activities a player can perform will all have a negative effect on the total energy which is calculated against the skill proficiency.

Again thanks for the inputs everyone.

Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
if a person wants to take the time to gather / prepare / eat food then they should be rewarded. The time that they have put in should be worth something.

Keeping the player feeling like they are making progress is very crutial. Progress could be considered fun but not always. I hate games where if feels like I'm going no where and what I'm doing is worthless because the time it costs to do it is not worth the outcome.

Eating should be there ... required ... no

Quote:Original post by Grellin
I have a question that I would basically like to get a few opinions on. First, the background. A few friends and I are making a small scale single player RPG as a stepping stone to possibly something larger in the future. We are just about finished with the design stage less on the run modifications and we have hit our first bump in the road. We are planning on an RPG like Morrowind not Diablo. Not in scale or quality, just used as an example to demonstrate NOT hack and slash. I know that all games of this nature have combat as part of the game, and most make it the focus of the entire game. I have worked very hard to give the player alternatives to combat to play the game with a non violent quest system, merchant classes, player affected economy. Don't get me wrong, the player will still be able to grab the ol' widow maker but it is a choice.

My question is, sorry took so long to get to it, how much realism is too much? People play games to escape from reality but I believe a certain amount helps ground the game. I believe a player should have to eat or suffer penalties in performance. My partner does not. So, if you would be so kind as to share your opinions on this I would be grateful.

Cause and effect is fairly shallow and obvious in hack-n-slash.

In a more complex representation of reality, can you show the state of the world effectively???

Can you express emotions and stance of the characters in the world so that players can have a clue about what is really going on???

Will objects react and interrelate realisticly so that the players already know what works (instead of being arbitrary) in
your more complicated world???

Will the player have the ability to express emotions/stances to communicate to other players AND npcs???

Will the NPC objects remember and react accordingly with some kind of history memory ???

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement