Entries into my portfolio

Started by
5 comments, last by Obscure 19 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys, i'm trying to build my portfolio, the probelm is, i know nothing about web-page design and building, i only know how to get the most simple things done... anyways, i'm trying to build up my portfolio, i know a lot, my problem is i never complete any of my personal projects, they always are incomplete. I picked a few of my models and some level objects i've been doing. I'm trying to build up my portfolio now with my current talent, because i really need a job. anyways, here is some of my work http://peeves.noobgrinder.com/3DModels.htm i don't think my work is that great, and i need to work harder, what do you guys think?
Advertisement
You've got some good talent there mate. I'd say you could land a job with it, but your portfolio is missing actual game experience. Creating models is one thing, but creating them to specification and working on/with a team is another. Animation is also something, from just viewing the web page, your portfolio appears to be missing. I know you're a modeler but a bit of experience in the other areas helps a lot.

For the website like you said, it really needs to be a bit fancier... thumbnail the images and put them into a nicely themed and designed site. If you do animation provide some videos to download.

Not to take a direct 'stab' at you but it appears people are posting unrelated work into this forum. This forum is for Business related information and queries. Not Art.

Any artists reading this please post it under one of the more creative forums such as the forum set aside for art specifically: Visual Arts

Best of luck,
Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet.Chinese Proverb
Quote:Original post by Peeves
...anyways, i'm trying to build up my portfolio, i know a lot, my problem is i never complete any of my personal projects, they always are incomplete.

Knowing a lot wont help you in your career if you have trouble actually finishing stuff. It may not stop you getting a job but it will cause problems once you have one.

I would suggest you work on that by setting youself some projects with strict deadlines. Maybe get someone else to help you by playing the part of "the boss" and checking that stuff is done. Having to actually finish stuff is a pain but sadly we its something we all have to do.

Dan Marchant
Design & Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
thanks for the input, sorry for posting this here.

well, i've worked on .... 4 games so far? and 2 mods? but each project was canceled, and i'm working on a game using the crytek engine with BTU Games right now.... but i'm not getting paid as of yet for my work.

I'll make some animations with Character Studio, the knowledge is in my resume and CV but i don't have examples for it, i might take some of my completed models and do them, the only problem is i dont' know how to do lip sync.

Me finishing work wouldn't be a problem if i was being paid for it and i worked in an office, but the problem is when i'm at home there is so many distractions and then my mother, then my friends wanting me to go to the club etc.

I've only completed 2 maps and 2 Models 100%, which is sad, but i plan on changing that.

I'll post my resume, cover lettr, and CV on there, i would like some input on those if possible as well

(i don't have the greatest grammar)

[edit] my portfolio has been updated, i gave it a slight face lift, tell me what you think now please?

main page - http://peeves.noobgrinder.com

[/edit]

[Edited by - Peeves on October 10, 2004 9:52:02 AM]
Quote:Original post by Peeves
Me finishing work wouldn't be a problem if i was being paid for it and i worked in an office, but the problem is when i'm at home there is so many distractions and then my mother, then my friends wanting me to go to the club etc.
Sorry but these are just excuses. You either have the dedication and drive to get work done or you don't. You won't suddenly develop it the moment you set foot it an office (and an employer isn't going to pay you while you develop it).

If you are unhappy doing work for free then don't do it. If however you think it is a good way to get the experience you need then that should motivate you to get the work done so that in the future you can get paying work.

As for distractions, there are far more distractions in an office than there are at home. If you can't learn to manage them then you won't succeed.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
acutally its not an excuse, i work for btu games right now and i work hard and complete all of my work for them, when someone is telling me to do something i can do it better and more effective. When i'm trying to tell myself to do a model, i don't have that much motivation to complete it. (and i don't mean an employer holding my hand the entire time, when its someone else's project and they are depending on me my honor kicks in)

I am teaching myself how to take care of my distractions, when i first started all 3D there was nothing like this because it was so exciting, i'm trying to regain that thrill.
You specifically stated that it WAS a problem
Quote:Me finishing work wouldn't be a problem if i was being paid for it and i worked in an office, but the problem is when i'm at home there is so many distractions and then my mother, then my friends wanting me to go to the club etc.

I simply responded to what you said - make up your mind. If it is a problem address it, if it isn't a problem why say it is?
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement