Sign in to follow this  

Linking error

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know this has been send a million times by now, but I simply can't find the solution, so maybe one of you can help me with this? I'm using Borland C++ Builder 6 and I'm trying to run the samples that go with the Direct X 9.0c SDK. The first 2 tutorials, CreateDevice and Verticals, I managed to run, so no significant problems with those. But the the matrix tutorial is an different story. I simply can seem to link the good library. (I know that I need to convert the provided *.lib files to the file-format that Borland uses, and I did the conversion). The errors I can't seem to solve are the following: -[Linker Error] Unresolved external 'D3DXMatrixRotationY' referenced from E:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT DIRECTX 9.0C SDK\SAMPLES\C++\DIRECT3D\TUTORIALS\TUT03_MATRICES\MATRICES.OBJ -[Linker Error] Unresolved external 'D3DXMatrixLookAtLH' referenced from E:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT DIRECTX 9.0C SDK\SAMPLES\C++\DIRECT3D\TUTORIALS\TUT03_MATRICES\MATRICES.OBJ -[Linker Error] Unresolved external 'D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH' referenced from E:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT DIRECTX 9.0C SDK\SAMPLES\C++\DIRECT3D\TUTORIALS\TUT03_MATRICES\MATRICES.OBJ I added these libraries: (the ones that has the "new_*" in front of the names are converted files, so borland understands them) -"new_d3d9.lib" -"new_d3dx9.lib" -"new_d3dx9dt.lib" -"new_d3dxd.lib" -"new_d3dxof.lib" -"new_dmoguids.lib" -"new_dxerr9.lib" -"new_dxguid.lib" Still I get these Linking Errors. If I add "new_d3dx9d.lib" to the project, I get the error: "Can't find entrypoint of procedure _GetProcAddress@8 in DLL-file D3DX9." I'm out of ideas, can someone direct me to the light, I'm lost in the darkness here? [Edited by - Xeile on October 10, 2004 7:40:54 AM]

As a user and lover of Borland for years, I hate to even say this, but I'd recommend going with MS Visual C++ if you have it available. It's good to know Visual C++ for one thing, since it's industry standard, so it would be a good exercise in learning it (if you don't already know it of course). Second, it makes working with DirectX a lot easier. You're probably going to run into more problems, when you get into DirectInput for instance. After about 3 hard drive failures or re-installations of Builder, and having to redo all the libraries each time, it gets old trying to remember everything. Or you could just make sure you back everything up, unlike I did. :) Lastly, you won't gain much benefit of using Builder over Visual C++, except maybe with AnsiStrings and a few other List-like classes that reduce the workload of data tracking. If you get to know the STL though, you won't need those. I use Borland to do the GUI applications, editors for the particle system, terrain, meshes, etc. I use Visual C++ to do the rendering, because I don't have a need for standard windows controls. Those are all part of the graphics engine.

It's just a suggestion and bit of personal experience, so do what you feel is good for you. Just thought I'd mention it.

Good luck,
Chris

Thank you for the reply Chris.

I do have Visual C++ 6.0 since yesterday, but I haven't been working with it yet. But I will certainly follow up you advice.

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.