Sign in to follow this  

D3DX Meshes question

This topic is 4816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Do D3DX9 meshes support transparent textures in any way? You've got to draw polygons in depth order to render correctly when they are transparent and so I wondered if the mesh classes knew to do this? There doesn't seem to be any way to indicate that the textures are transparent so I guess not but though I'd ask...

I also have wondered about this. I think the vertices are going to be rendered in the order they are placed in the vertex buffer (unless the index buffer re-arranges them). So, it would be up to the program that exports the object to place them in the proper order based on distance from the camera. Sadly, this will only work for objects that will always be in the same orientation in front of the camera (if you don't plan on doing it real-time). Take URU for instance. You could move the mouse over the character on-screen and he/she would become transparent. The character was always facing away from the camera in that case though, so they probably created the character mesh with vertices ordered just right.

If you need transparency, try to limit it to 2D Quads and Concave meshes. Ask yourself is the added effect really worth the extra loss in CPU time (to re-order the mesh vertices).

Chris

This topic is 4816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.