Maya or 3Ds MAX

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 5 months ago
Hey everyone. Everyone in my company is wondering which one we should get. Either Maya 6.0 or 3Ds MAX. We can't decide, we've treid out both and we are stuck b/c we like each one. So we were wondering if we could get some input on what others think and which one they think is better. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Well if you need to work in Linux or MacOS then use Maya since its made for all 3 OS.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
I'm currently using Windows XP Professional. Does that mean I should go with 3Ds MAX?
You can also use Maya with Windows. Just figure out which one has the best tutorials you can find and is the easiest to use. I use 3dsmax, but I've never really gotten into Maya.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
The choice should only be decided on which one your art team finds more productive.
I used Maya for a while, but that program was just a standard, nothing special then. I worked with 3ds max 4.2 , 5 , 6 over 2000 hours by now. Still I'm amazed by the flexibility of that one. The power of 3ds max is you can work with MaxScripts. I don't know if Maya has something like this too!

If you or your company still can't choose, then I advise you to go with the majority of the world and start with 3DS Max. Keep in mind that within sometime 3DS Max 7 is comming out.

Greets

Thijs
Max is most certainly not used by the majority of the 3d world. In my experience, it's pretty rare nowadays to find a developer that doesn't have both.

Maya has mel script, which is pretty much the same as max script, though I've heard some say it's easier than max script.

I'm no pro by any means, but after about a year on both, I prefer the Maya workflow, and writing plugins for Maya is cake, though admittedly I have no plugin experience with max.
RobTheBloke has the right idea.

That said I encouraged my art 'department' *cough* in the maya direction.

Why?
1) It was soo damn easy an intuitive to view a model from any angle.
2) It was about $1000 less than 3DS MAX. Max is nice and all but I can't help they are adding to the price tag because it says 'max' on it. (which is also why I went with CorelDraw12 (for PhotoPaint mostly) over PhotoShop, by the by.)

I also liked how configurable Maya is.. I can have multiple windows open or just one, quite easily. the UV editor works quite well (though I still don't understand it all!) and the way the shaders and construction history work and all that is quite acceptable.

I.e. No bad. (Ok, they advertise middle mouse button but most of the windows ignore the damn thing it seems. Handy for the 3d views though.)

All in all..
Maya 6 Complete.
Damn expensive.
Nice program though and will do what we want for some time to come indeed.
I can't compare maya or max but I'm using free wings3D and so far modelling has been a pleasure. UVmapping is ok too. Bay Raitt uses Mirai and it's close to Wings3D. Wings uses box modelling tech., has smoothing and magnets/vectors, plus bunch of other useful things like edgeloop sliding, extrude region, etc. Also, check out zbrush2.
Quote:Original post by FeralOfEclecticWizard
easy and intuitive to view a model from any angle.

If that's your main criterion for choosing Maya then I think you're probably under utilising the capabilities of both pieces of software.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement