Converting 3D Files

Started by
5 comments, last by EvilSteve 19 years, 6 months ago
Is there a converter that can load OpenGL code and save it as another format, such as LightWave? I've seen many converters that load LightWave files and save them as OpenGL, but not the other way around. Does anyone know of such a converter or an easier way to do this?
Advertisement
OpenGL isn't a file format.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I meant a .c file that contains something such as:

glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);
glVertex3f(1,1,1);
glVertex3f(1,1,0);
glVertex3f(0,1,0);
glEnd();
thats still not a file format.

HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
I think he means a tool that can convert code from one programming language to another. (Code containing OpenGL calls)
Look into Anim8or on google. I think it had an export a .h file that contained all the data to create whatever model you wanted. Unfortunately in the version I looked at textures and animation were not supported. Good luck.
~Wave

The only way I could see something like this being possible would be if someone wrote a custom OpenGL DLL similar to GLTrace, but instead of it logging OpenGL calls made, it wrote out a 3D model file based on the OpenGL calls it intercepts. I don't know if something like this already exists or has ever been attempted... I'm sure it would be challenging. However, if it was possible, it would be very useful since it would allow a 3D model to be extracted from any running OpenGL program into any 3D file format the custom OpenGL DLL would support.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement