Favorite Art Style (In comics). (Idea from Boku Sans thread.)

Started by
9 comments, last by xor 19 years, 6 months ago
This is very similar to the thread started by Boku San (love that name). Instead though, I am wondering what comic art style people like best ( please explain why you like a certain style too). This can be from a webcomic or comic book . If you can find an example of it on the information superhighway, please post it. I myself find that the comic style of VG cats works really well. Since they have tiny bodies, a lot of focus is just on the head itself, allowing for excellent use of expressions.
Advertisement
I'm glad you like my name =).

Anyway, my favorite style of comic would have to be the style of Invader Zim and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. I don't know, it seems so...dark. Zim was a lot brighter, but the characters were sharp, and they fit in well with the universe.
Things change.
I like something about the way your comic is drawn :)
david mack's Kabuki and Daredevil.
Lucas Henekswww.ionforge.com
60's-70's MARVEL stuff. Kirby, Buscema, Ditko, et al. I don't mind flat colors or black&white. I don't like the more modern style, where the artists sometimes use too much airbrush and everything looks like it's made of shiny vinyl.
Here are some links to galleries for the anime/comic series I think have the most beautiful art:
Utena
Sorceror Hunters
Clover
GloomCookie

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Joe Mad, Jim Lee, Michael Turnet, Alex Ross are some of the best, not to mention plenty of Manga artist as well

check out my site catzstudio.deviantart.com
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." - Christopher Reeve (1952-2004)
John and Sal Buscema, John Byrne, George Perez, Mark Texiera, Bernie Wrightson, Bob Layton, Jim Aparo, Frank Miller, Denny Cowan, Neal Adams...and whoever it is (name escapes me) that draws the Image series Freaks of the Heartland.

To me anime is crap and comic books of late have mostly all gone that route now days. Too much covering up lack of anatomical skill thru supposed "style". I'm oldschool though and at least think as an artist that you should know what you are leaving out or exaggerating be fore you do either. JM2C.

J
hahah, generalizing anime as crap on anatomy is very harsh since manga & anime artist are also required to know the basic anatomy before exagerating them. Can't say western artist didn't have problem with anatomy (glance at Rob Liefild works :lol:)

The problems lies within fans of all these, comic & anime alike, that tend to copy their favorite artist without learning the basic anatomy first
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." - Christopher Reeve (1952-2004)
it's not comics but manga : berserk style

http://www.ihmagazine.it/imgarticoli/comics/berserk/Gatsu08.jpg

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement