DirectX8 DirectPlay Question VB - Massive Multiplayer Support

Started by
5 comments, last by Jacob Roman 19 years, 6 months ago
In DirectX8 for Visual Basic, I'm trying to add massive multiplayer support to my game engine using DirectPlay based on a master server that can check for other servers players have created (which will be in a list) for other players to choose a server and enter their game. I can easily create just one server with multiple clients, but that's all I could do. After surfing the web, I have found no code examples of what I want to do. Can anyone help me on either code examples or links to excellent tutorials on creating Massive Multiplayer support for your games. Thanx.
Advertisement
Here's an idea - let your clients be servers too.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!
- Hai, watashi no chichi no kuruma ga oishikatta desu!...or, in other words, "Yes, my dad's car was delicious!"
www.massivemultiplayeronlinegamesenginetutorials.com
------------------------------"Are you pondering what I am pondering?" - Fruny"I think so Brain, but how do we make a hockey game with DarkBASIC?" - Scint
You won't find any tutorials. This is why.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I'll give that a try Bucket_Head. CuriousGeorgeBush, that site doesn't exist, unless it's a sarcastic joke. And superpig, I read it and all, but it doesn't have to be super complex like Quake III or SOF2, since technology like that is expensive, and difficult to implement. A simple chat program that allows users to choose from a list of servers to chat on is sufficient enough to where I can understand what they did, learn from it, and try to modify it a little in my own code to use in my game. My game is not full blown 3D. It is a 2D fighting game that will have upto either 4 or 6 players or maybe more, depending on how I want it. So it won't be too complex at all.
Well, you will first have to read a LOT. and then I mean a LOT.

Read all topics about synchronization at the multiplayer forum here @ gamedev. I've been there too, a few years ago.

Then, check out the multiplayer articles that are on the net:

Time synchronization between clients
dead reckoning
"what I learned from making xwings vs tie-fighter"
etc
I think I have a zipfile somewhere where I saved all the things I found 2 years ago, as a later reference. Maybe I can find it somewhere.

Then, read this carefully:

Design your game to be multiplayer. Don't do it as a bonus later. (Well, it seems that you plan to make it multiplayer only :))

Think carefully about synchronization, how many packets, how will I group stuff together, how will I interpolate positions between clients, how will I synchronize time betwene clients (who shot first!?))

And then start writing some code! :)

Also www.flipcode.com/networking used to be interested, if it still exists. (or /network)

hth,
ajoling
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Thanks for your help, and keep an eye out for that zip file. Might come in handy ;D

Also I posted a question on Gamma Correction for DirectX8 in quite a few sites' forums, but nobody is answering my question. I didn't think it would be that difficult for people. The post should be on page one of DirectX forums somewhere. I have some source code of what I did in there, but my problem is that it only does the gamma color of the whole screen and not the blit of my graphics. If you guys know how to work with Gamma correction, I would like to know what I did wrong in the code. It worked on DirectX7 for me, just don't know what I'm missing for DirectX8.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement