• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ade-the-heat

OpenGL MS GDI graphics cards- updates +speed??

This topic is 5061 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've noticed a lot of graphics cards out there are Microsoft GDI cards (when I query opengl and ask for the card name and manufacturer). I have two questions: 1. where/how can I update the opengl drivers for these cards ? I couldn't find them on the MS site. In addition I couldn't find them on graphics cards download sites. Is it easy to do as they're stuck at opengl version 1.1 ? 2. Also my game runs at 1 FPS on these cards and my game has nothing to it at all !! BUT I ran a 1998 MS flight simulator game on the pc with this card and it ran perfectly normally !! So how come my game goes at 1FPS and other games run smothly when there's nothing to my game !! cheers Ade

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
you think of directx. Cant remember any gdi cards out there

basically whats happening is these ppl are getting the miscrosoft 100% software eversion of opengl,
ms dont supply the drivers for a videocard, the ppl need to goto the cards chipsets manufactures website and download a new driver, eg nvidia/ati/intel.

ok, but in my game I query the card's manufacturer and Vendor etc and it says it's Microsoft and GDI.
I can't find this card anywhere...
Or will they have to go to control panel to get the actual card name ?

cheers

That's because OpenGL is running through Microsoft's software GL driver as zedzeek said. You can't detect the card through OpenGL because it's not using the card's drivers; it's using the MS fallback instead.

The solution for the people in question is to either upgrade the driver or failing that, get a video card which supports OpenGL (anything made in the last 5 years should be okay).

Control panel should tell you the name of the card, or more likely, integrated chipset.

Incidentally, check what values you're using to create your OpenGL display surface. Depending on the card they might barf and fall back to the MS renderer you're seeing if you ask for something thats too complex for it to handle.

One annoying cause of this can be mismatched colour, depth & stencil depths. Knock up a test app that uses a *really* simple framebuffer (16bit colour, zero everywhere else) and see if you can get anything different as a renderer.

What pixel format are you asking ? And on what cards does it fail (ie. gives you "Microsoft GDI generic" ? ). If some other games are running with full 3D acceleration, then you're likely not getting a supported format, and it falls back to software emulation.

Y.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!