[web] Free hosting question

Started by
6 comments, last by Slaru 19 years, 6 months ago
Hello, Has anybody tried or used 100webspace.com's free hosting plan? I was looking into free web hosting for my personal site for games and programming. It looks like one of the better free hosts I have been able to find. Or is it? Has anybody had any experience with the service? Does it force ads? Does it limit individual file size or total files? The plan Slaru
Advertisement
Well, it's free so why don't you try it out?

I personally buy my own domain and hosting ($25 a year through 1and1 and 1portfolio).
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
You should email them about thier policies on the free hosting(ads, limits), but generally they will force ads on your page. If your planning to devote a lot of time to your web-site, you may want to forgo the "free-hosting," and pay $25 a year. If you just want a place to post files, and a few links, the ads may not be that big a deal.
100webspace is a -bad- choice, IMHO. I hosted my web site with them for about 3 weeks when they took it offline. I was just using it to show off this simple little game to some friends, and it went offline. They advertise "no ads", ... and "free", ... sound to good to be true, it is. If you want something that's free, I would use geocities, as yahoo is reliable. Sure there's a lot of ads, but at least they won't take your website down whenever they feel like it.
Well, after some intensive googling, they dont force ads. I can't seem to find info on file size limit though. I will email them to find out. This site is really just so I can have a place to post my games and other game/programming stuff. Kinda a portfolio type thing.
The reviews at free-webhosts.com seem to be saying it is a good service. wyrzy seems to be the only one to have had a problem with them. wyrzy, are you sure your site wasn't somehow in violation of the TOS?
Well, my website consisted of 5 pages, and I also had a 3MB .zip file containg the game people could download. I thought they said you could have 100MB of storage, and I didn't see anything saying no .zip files. I mean, if you don't think they took my files offline you can go to http://wyrzy.hollosite.com/ for yourself and see that the site is not there anymore. And I don't think I would waste my time setting up an account if I wasn't going to host with them.

They seemed like a good deal, "free...no ads", but I found out otherwise. I did have that 3MB .zip file, and that was about it, but I really don't think too many people downloaded it and played it, so I shouldn't have went over my traffic limit.
Thanks wyrzy. I think I may go ahead and try my luck with them though. What is there to lose? If anything happens though, I will pm you just to let you know you weren't the only one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement