Sign in to follow this  

Is it a good idea to learn console functions?

This topic is 4811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using the guides on gametutorials.com to learn how to program. I was hoping to make my first game in Win32, which brings me to my question: Is it necessary, or recommended, to learn console functions? Somebody told me they aren't used in a game for Windows, and I wanted to verify that. Thanks! ~Dakar

Quote:
Original post by Kelly G
Only if you want to write a console based game- a game which uses the text console.

That pretty much answers my question. Thanks!

Meh, I learned OpenGL from NeHe before I knew what HWND was...
At the time I understood everything I needed to know to use OpenGL, but for the win32 code I didnt know what the hell was going on.

Since then I have however learned how to use the hidous win32 api.

Just shows that it is possible, it just depends how ignorant you are :P

i think it isnt bad if you know console stuff as well because some of the things can be used in win32 as well... you may not need printf but maybe sprintf or fprintf... i would recommend to learn console stuff before win32 but you could also learn win32 first and learn those commands when you need them.

I think it would be a good idea to create a few console applications first before moving to more advanced stuff. I think you would be surprised at how much you could do with the console. For example I have seen a Tetris clone made entirely in console mode as well as some nice RPG's etc. Pong, Breakout, Pacman and other simple games could also be made as well. It's easy to think that the games I mentioned above can only be made with proper graphics API's when that's not actually the case.

This topic is 4811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.