Consistency in Time Travel

Started by
144 comments, last by Numsgil 19 years, 5 months ago
This is something that has always bothered me. It seems to me that no single medium has maintained a perfect consistency in a time travel story. I'll give you a for-instance. Dr. Alpha created an android that started a new wave in android technology. These androids eventually start to take over the world. Then, an android is reprogrammed to come back and stop him from building the first one. Once Dr. Alpha is convinced not to building the first android, the reprogrammed one could never exist, could never come back to stop Dr. Alpha, and Dr. Alpha wouldn't have that memory of the reprogrammed android, and would make the first one anyway. I really hope I make sense. If I don't, I'll try to restate. Thanks.
Advertisement
There's no such thing and never will be, so of course it doesn't make any sense.

Makes for good entertainment though.
That's the same concept as "what would happen if I go back and kill my mother before I'm born." On the one hand, you'de seize to exist. On the other hand, if you sieze to exist you couldn't possibly go back in time to kill your mother. I think the way to deal with this in a game would be to have multiple/alternative timelines (something like back to the future). That way both possibilites occur but niether one has any direct connection to the other.
Quote:Original post by DrEvil
There's no such thing and never will be, so of course it doesn't make any sense.

I made this statement, or one similar, a while back and was called a troll for it. >_>;;
Quote:Original post by ontheheap
I think the way to deal with this in a game would be to have multiple/alternative timelines (something like back to the future). That way both possibilites occur but niether one has any direct connection to the other.

Something about this bothered me, too. A pseudo-intellegent person I know argued that our universe "branched" into multiple more dimensions whenever there were multiple possibilities. They were, therefore, infinite universes. My thing is, this doesn't make since.

If this were true, then an atheist saying, "God doesn't exist," wouldn't be completely true. It'd mean God would exist in certain universes, the Heliopolitan gods would exist in certain universes, the Greek gods would exist in certain universes, all gods would exist in certain universes, and so on.
Quote:Original post by orionx103
I think the way to deal with this in a game would be to have multiple/alternative timelines (something like back to the future). That way both possibilites occur but niether one has any direct connection to the other.

Something about this bothered me, too. A pseudo-intellegent person I know argued that our universe "branched" into multiple more dimensions whenever there were multiple possibilities. They were, therefore, infinite universes. My thing is, this doesn't make since.

If this were true, then an atheist saying, "God doesn't exist," wouldn't be completely true. It'd mean God would exist in certain universes, the Heliopolitan gods would exist in certain universes, the Greek gods would exist in certain universes, all gods would exist in certain universes, and so on.

O...kay. Well, you just made a horrible assumption about one thing: the fact that people don't create gods, they create beliefs. Then again, one could argue that gods stem from the people that believe strongest, but that complicates things (if people created by gods create gods, then who created the people? Gods? That would suggest people existed first, completely nullifying any creation theories) to the extent that I geniunely can't comprehend, especially not at 10 PM.

So what doesn't make sense about the infinite dimensions thing?
Things change.

I've read of theories which are even more bizarre than that. For instance, in a past issue of Discover magazine (not sure which one), there was an article about "frozen universes" or something like that. I'm sure that is not the right name, but the basic concept said that every single possibility is just a frozen "image," existing all at the same time. Some how the universe cycles through them so quickly that we feel as if reality is continuous. We are only aware of the current "freeze" and no other "freeze" is aware of any others. It was an interesting article but like the multiple timeline thing really doesn't make alot of sense.

Sorry, that AP post was mine.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I've read of theories which are even more bizarre than that.

The thing about this kid's theory was, he took it entirely from DragonBall Z. (Trunks Saga, to be precise.)

Why are you using God as your example, you wont find the answer to this that way, not to get into a religous argument here but if god existed then there would be no branches at all, it would all be linear. The starting point of time has to start somewhere, so either there is some god or none (a god created us or it didn't). Ok enough about that.

I'll refer you guys to this thread here. Take a look at 'Iron Chef Carnage' post, second from bottom. Gives an interesting example.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement